Blocking off rear heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blondie70

Reaction score
Howdy. Wanting to block off/isolate the rear heater core as I do not use it. This to avoid future failure, etc..
Any of you guys know a practical way to do this ?
Thank you
Pete

OP
OP
B

blondie70

Reaction score
Thank You. Now I got to get to looking for the tool and the 2 straight adapters ! Thanks again !

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics, please? Might also be of help if someone needs to do this temporarily.
Here's my 1999 Silverado. When I had just bought it in like 2008 one of those plastic quick connects broke. I just removed the hoses and connected them directly into the aluminum tube with hose clamps. Back then I didn't even know they sold quick connect replacements.

What I actually did first was removed the hoses and bought a brass coupling from the hardware store (I think it's 1/2" or 5/8") just to get the truck running again. It was in the summer and I was in college and no tools. When I went home to my Parents' I just broke off the plastic and hooked them up directly as shown. I think I still have the coupling in my glovebox.

Attachments

• IMG_20240102_094612224.jpg
    IMG_20240102_094612224.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 9

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy. Wanting to block off/isolate the rear heater core as I do not use it. This to avoid future failure, etc..
Any of you guys know a practical way to do this ?
Thank you
Pete

Well, you can simply remove the Y adapters near the firewall and install regular adapters like what the trucks have.

There's a special split ring removal tool to remove those quick connect adapters.

^^^This. You'll get new connectors and "delete" the rear heater in one shot. Use OEM connectors! Flush and blow out the rear heater pipes and core and cap off the lines in case you or a future owner wants to reimplement it.

OP
OP
B

blondie70

Reaction score
I have the connectors and split ring tool ordered....it is gonna be a pain to get to. Will have to rig up something to lay on. Kinda under a ridge too.
Thanks for all the tips on this
Pete

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the connectors and split ring tool ordered....it is gonna be a pain to get to. Will have to rig up something to lay on. Kinda under a ridge too.
Thanks for all the tips on this
Pete
Do you have more information on the tool needed to remove the heater hose connectors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog