Black license plate screws

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MINIz guy

Reaction score
Those look good the ones I have look to be 1/4x3/4 do they come with they key or you buy that separately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you gotta ask that, then you know they are going to ward off any plate thieves. :Big Laugh:

Check your screwdriver bit sets, you should have the proper one. Otherwise, gotta buy a new set.

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you gotta ask that, then you know they are going to ward off any plate thieves. :Big Laugh:

Check your screwdriver bit sets, you should have the proper one. Otherwise, gotta buy a new set.

lol true wasn't sure cause the screws I got like that in the past from Autozone had the key, just found a set on Amazon thanks again

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys should think about moving to another area if you have to put special screws on your licence plates to deter thieves. I've never heard of such a thing.

Last edited:

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I've heard it happening all over. People steal plates. Kids do it for fun, adults do it for stolen vehicles.
Search tamper proof bolts/screws . Will bring up a better search. I had some that only screwed one way for my led taillights on my last pickup. People steal those with a quickness, but not mine lol.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check yur local/ace hardware... mine has black chrome avail & htey can order security head versions.

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys should think about moving to another area if you have to put special screws on your licence plates to deter thieves. I've never heard of such a thing.

I personally don't know anyone it's ever happened to but if your car/truck is parked in the wrong place at the wrong time someone could ****** them, better safe then having to deal with DMV to get new plates

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12274422_10203831139898173_2791838986880879076_n.jpg I've been using star screws to lock my (somewhat desired personalized) plate on my truck, my rear plate was stolen many years ago, and because I had not mounted the front plate (California requires two plates, but few actually have two) I mounted my "front" plate to the rear. Buying the new Yukon XL in 2015, I wanted to get my plates re-issued in the "Legacy", which is Black/Gold, much like Ca. License plates were up until the late 60's early 70's. Once I received my new plates, I mounted the new rear plate with these: /https://bestlicenseplateframes.com/...crew-covers-plastic-black-not-for-cnc-frames/
They are pretty cool, (the company also offers custom frames, and other trim), but I like the way these work. They screw into your "standard" mount (most of them are all plastic fitted nuts now) but you mount both a washer, and a locking lug onto the screws, once they're snugged down (I also put a drop of "Loctite" on them for added measure) there's a black aluminum cover (they're also available in chrome) that snaps over the screw head, onto the locking lug. You could use Star, Allen, any type of screw you'd like (as long as it's the proper size) and once these covers are in place, there's no way to remove the screws without figuring out how to get the covers off, which also freely spin when twisted, and then have the tools to remove them.
As I mentioned, having had my license plate stolen off my truck (while it sat in my driveway), many years ago, still missing- Probably hanging in some kids (now "man") room or garage somewhere. I've been very happy with it, so far... not to tempt karma.
Regarding the front plate, I removed the dealer installed mount, they're required to sell it "legally equipped", but it came off with two small screws. Unfortunately, the way it was mounted to the front required them to drill two small holes in the front of the bumper. I removed the mount, and painted a couple of stainless steel screws black (using a can of Krylon I already had) and mounted them back in, also with Loctite. It works and isn't too noticeable.
Good luck!

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Serious question, do people really steal your plates?
Happens a lot more than you think- As mentioned, sometimes it's a kid or an idiot, who wants your personalized plate for their room/garage, who knows why people steal... The other reason to put your stolen license plate (often a stolen plate goes unnoticed for a while) onto a stolen car, it's called "cold plating". People steal things for various reasons... Nothing is 100% "Thief Proof", but you can make just a bit more hassle and encourage them to try their luck somewhere else.... not actually encourage them per se, but you get my drift. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645