Bilstein 5100 highest lift perch VS lift pucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You first - especially since I've no experience with Bilstein 5100s; which is why I asked.
I've experience with 9C1-spec Bilstein shock absorbers on mid-'90s Caprice 9C1-LT1s.
LOVED them so much, I upgraded a Cadillac Fleetwood's suspension with 9C1-spec parts, including 9C1-Bilsteins.

I want to give my Z71 more lane-change-swerve-ability without sacrificing too much bad-road / off-road ability,
commensurate with how much time I spend on-road vs bad-road / off-road.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Marky Dissod Gotcha I couldn’t tell what angle you were you getting at lol

I have the 5100s paired with the moog HD springs front and back… and 2.5 inch lift pucks front and back and I run no front sway bar. I can take mountain freeway turns at 75mph no problem.

My shock and spring setup is fairly rigid so I think that’s why I can get away with not running a front sway bar.

Bilsteins are great, they have the 4600s which some trucks came from the factory with so that’s probably a better suite for most people but if people are looking for off-road performance the 5100 is probably the best you can get before you start getting up into Fox shocks or Kings

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marky Dissod Gotcha I couldn’t tell what angle you were you getting at
When I drive on-road, I drive as fast as (reasonably) possible, as slow as necessary, due in most part to considerable training and experience.
When I drive off-road, I do not drive as slow as possible, but I ain't in no rush either, largely due to a lack of training and experience vs on-road.

If you think the 5100s will suit a driver like me well, I'll consider the 5100 vs 4600 matter settled,
and start researching how to adapt the H2 swaybar to my Tahoe.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Marky Dissod I think you’ll be happy with them for what you’re doing. I’ve heard the Fox or King shocks are better but $400 I think the bilsteins are a good value.

Do you have expensive body roll? What’s your setup?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Marky Dissod I think you’ll be happy with them for what you’re doing.
I’ve heard the Fox or King shocks are better but $400 I think the bilsteins are a good value.

Do you have expensive body roll? What’s your setup?
Presently, an '02 Tahoe Z71.
Goal is to improve on-road handling / agility / swerve. Must not lift it.
Will only lower one end to level it AFTER I get shocks & swaybars right.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Marky Dissod Have you thought about looking into PPV suspension?
I understand they are lower and better at handling.
I have. However ...
Don't know if y'all consider deep / tall snow 'off-roading'? Most NYers do.
2 winters ago, the extra ground clearance came in very handy - so much so, that
I want to see how much the handling can be improved BEFORE I move on to lowering it.

To that end, I think swaybars and shocks are where I'll start.
Continental Terrain Contact H/T tires look promising.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I have had the 5100s for a while now, only complaint is that my control arm setup does not allow the strut to fully extend and the upper ball joint is the limiting factor here. After the feedback here I will just keep things as they are for a few more years and then reevaluate the setup.
uniball uca’s were a night and day difference in handling for me personally their well worth the money especially if paired with a nice set of coil overs to really take advantage of the extra travel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kwells