Big brake kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WestPalm83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with big brake kits?

I have already done what I can to stiffen the pedal and get better bite. Im looking to to cough up the money and get a big brake kit if they are substantially better

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard they're substantially better and of course they should be considering the fact that in most cases they utilize way bigger rotors and calipers with more pistons. Whether they're worth the cost is probably the controversial part. I'm looking at them also and if I go ahead I'll probably get Wilwoods with 16" front rotors and 14.25" rears. Cost is around $4k. Brembo's are around that much for fronts alone. I'm running a blower, headers, cam and huge wheels so I'm a bit concerned with stopping power.

OP
OP
WestPalm83

WestPalm83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've heard they're substantially better and of course they should be considering the fact that in most cases they utilize way bigger rotors and calipers with more pistons. Whether they're worth the cost is probably the controversial part. I'm looking at them also and if I go ahead I'll probably get Wilwoods with 16" front rotors and 14.25" rears. Cost is around $4k. Brembo's are around that much for fronts alone. I'm running a blower, headers, cam and huge wheels so I'm a bit concerned with stopping power.

I look at it like this. If I rear end someone because I couldn't stop I'll have to fork over a few grand anyway. I'd rather avoid that and have good stopping power

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have StopTech Trophy Sport Big Brake Kit. (15" w/ 6 piston on all 4 corners)
it stops great ;)

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont recall. i got it worked into pkg price from dealer.
i know it was pricey, but its covered under warranty now ;) so it was worth it.
i'll poke around in paperwork over wkend.

OP
OP
WestPalm83

WestPalm83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what year is your truck?

They dont make a big brake kit for a 1996 4x4 so i was going to see about swapping the spindles with a 99

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ '15
didnt catch which subforum i was in ;)

looks like 99 spindle will open up your options:

http://baer.com/15-Front-Extreme-Brake-System-4301019.html
looks like baer skips '88-98 :\
wilwood skips '92-99

from some qik thread reads, looks like a lot of peeps, either just upgrade parts that they can or update spindle & do big brake kits

http://ssbrakes.com/i-10092811-fron...on-super-twin-tkaluminum-calipers-a186-1.html

looks like 4wd limits you too.

or pads & rotors from EBC, hawk, powerstop, stoptech

OP
OP
WestPalm83

WestPalm83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If anyone else is looking to put a big brake kit on a pre 99 there is a company that is selling Wilwood kit. This is the response I got from Wilwood

"Thank you for the inquiry with Wilwood Disc Brakes.

Unfortunately we do not offer any brake kits for your Yukon at this time, however one of our dealers is offering some kits for your truck using Wilwood components. Please contact Little Shop Manufacturing, their information is listed below:

Little Shop Manufacturing

150 S Mahr Ave.
Lawrenceburg, TN 38464

931-629-7353

http://www.littleshopmfg.com/

Regards,
Wilwood Disc Brakes"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz