BEWARE OF A/C DIAGNOSIS BY SO CALLED " PRO'S "

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a heat wave for the past two days, so I had the AC on and it performed just like it did last Spring. Now you may ask why I'm telling you this, well last Spring when it was time for AC, it was not cooling as it should, so I took it to my local Service Center for repair. I told the owner's when I dropped it off that I had been noticing a road film build up on top of Compressor @ the Schrader valves when I clean the engine, they said they would check it out and call me. The next day they called with their findings, a minimum of $1200.00 for Condenser/compressor/and Drier. Naturally I was shocked and asked why.......... they explained that any vehicle with this high mileage (196,000) such as my Tahoe, it's necessary to make it work right.

I called my friend who has a Hot Rod shop/auto repair business, he said bring it to him. I explained about the residue on the suction/high side valves WHICH WAS STILL THERE. Bottom line, $86.00 later including two new Schrader valves and it's still working 9 months later. There could have been a lot of PROFIT for the 1st shop, but I did not fall for it, always get 2nd opinion. I have spent many years around cars/trucks, but @ my age, I now have to rely on other people, just don't fall for this kind of dishonesty.

David g........................:)

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, keep in mind your dealer service advisor and techs are commissioned. They have a natural routine of blurring the line between "may be necessary if" and "needed".