Best method of changing transmission fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do transmission flushes all the time. Pretty simple, and usually never any problems.(unless it is a damn dodge, cause they are touchy about line pressure) Most problems come from trying to flush a transmission that has over 150k miles and has never had any prior maintanence.

Our flush does it by using your transmissions own pump (rather than some that use a seperate pump and force fluid through the system which is not a good idea). So we tap into a line, old fluid comes out and pushes on a piston, that in turn pushes new fluid in...when its done we hook the lines back together and it is good to go. It puts in as much fluid as it takes out. I did this to my tahoe, and following the flush i dropped the pan and changed the filter. Doing BOTH insures the transmission cooler and torque converter have fresh fluid, plus you have a clean filter and can clean any deposits out of the pan before the fresh fluid loosens them up.

Have both a flush and the filter changed at a shop...any problems after having it serviced should be covered by the shop that does the service. Our flush runs $100 and we use full synthetic fluid in everyting..and a filter change w/ the flush would be like another 50 or so to cover the filter and fluid cost

pittmanb8

Reaction score
odie- sure wish we had a good shop around here that charged those prices. Even if I bought the parts at a store myself I would spend at least $95 (16 qts synthetic x $5= $80 plus filter and gasket = $15). That only leaves $55 for labor, shop supplies, etc. How do yall do it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz