Best cam for 6.2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried searching for spec's and information on what the best cam would be for the 6.2 on my Denali and haven't found anything. Anyone have any information on what would be a good cam for my 08 Denali? I see that Black Bear Performance is going to be in Seattle this March and I would really like to find a good cam to install before getting a tune done.

My eventual goals are to have the cam, tune, add long tube headers, and either Black Widow muffler with stock exhaust or run a Corsa Sport. Eventually (some day) I hope to add supercharger, but that would be a few years from now. I'm at 109k miles and not worried about any warranty.

Thank you for any information, and @JennaBear if you have any advice on what to have done before a tune, that would be wonderful.

Cheers,

Joe

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now on my Denali I have yet to do or research a proper cam for the blown 6.2L.... however, I cant believe all too much has changed since the days I had my blown silverado ss (6.0 L @ 12 lbs) which I slid a LPE (lingenfelter) GT2-3 bump stick into... drivability was perfect and it seemed to do the trick nicely, also heard the GT5 was a solid blower cam... outside of that experience (that was back in 2004/2005ish) id say look into whatever guys are rocking on LSA or LS7 vehicles (I would assume even the stock cams for those would be suitable gains for us????) And lastly, BTR seems very common and reputable.... maybe give them a ring and ask for suggestions.? Good luck (im excited for you!) And PLEASE keep me posted!

OP
OP
Speck

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now on my Denali I have yet to do or research a proper cam for the blown 6.2L.... however, I cant believe all too much has changed since the days I had my blown silverado ss (6.0 L @ 12 lbs) which I slid a LPE (lingenfelter) GT2-3 bump stick into... drivability was perfect and it seemed to do the trick nicely, also heard the GT5 was a solid blower cam... outside of that experience (that was back in 2004/2005ish) id say look into whatever guys are rocking on LSA or LS7 vehicles (I would assume even the stock cams for those would be suitable gains for us????) And lastly, BTR seems very common and reputable.... maybe give them a ring and ask for suggestions.? Good luck (im excited for you!) And PLEASE keep me posted!

Will do! Thank you for the information!

Joe

Agent WD-40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on your timeline I would suggest the headers and cam before a tune. If not you will likely need to retune after adding each one. There are some cams that may not require a retune but they are pretty mild.

As far as a cam goes, decide how aggressive you want it. Do you want a choppy cam sound, do you want stock like drivability? You should also decide how serious you are about a blower. There are plenty of cams that work well NA and with a blower but there are potentially more options if you know you won't add a blower in the future.

There are tone of cams that should work though. Keep use in mind- a cam that is good in a Corvette may give up some low end grunt that is nice in a truck.

Crane cams and Cam motion have some truck cams you may want to look at. I believe both of these companies will custom spec a cam that fits your exact desires (stock manifolds, headers, lots of low end torque, etc). Livernois has a few cams they use in cars and trucks. I think Texas Speed also has truck cams.

I had a Livernois 2C cam in my Camaro. Loved the sound and worked well with the stock converter. If I were doing it again, in a truck, I would probably pick a truck specific cam to keep the low end torque though. I'm not pushing my Yukon into the upper rev range nearly as often as in the Camaro - so optimizing torque and power where I drive the car would be my goal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Speck

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great information, thank you. I'll definitely check those out.

Joe

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My best recommendation for a cam, is to call the cam company you plan to use and have them spec out a grind for you. You can give them all the details on your current vehicle, and where you would like to go with your mods. I have run CompCams on all my vehicles, always happy with the output.

If you don't plan on getting an AutoCal, I would recommend having as much of your mods on the vehicle as possible for the inperson tune. If you do plan on getting an AutoCal, the tune updates are free and easy for when you do add the mods.

We do sell all major brand name performance parts, and the guys can fix up a package deal for you if you are interested.

Let me know if you have further questions.

OP
OP
Speck

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My best recommendation for a cam, is to call the cam company you plan to use and have them spec out a grind for you. You can give them all the details on your current vehicle, and where you would like to go with your mods. I have run CompCams on all my vehicles, always happy with the output.

If you don't plan on getting an AutoCal, I would recommend having as much of your mods on the vehicle as possible for the inperson tune. If you do plan on getting an AutoCal, the tune updates are free and easy for when you do add the mods.

We do sell all major brand name performance parts, and the guys can fix up a package deal for you if you are interested.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thank you @JennaBear I will have to give you a call here soon. Since making this thread, unfortunately I have found out that I have a water leak that now needs my attention before spending on "go fast" goodies... so I will be getting that fixed along with replacing my driver door hinges. Darn repairs squashing all my fun... Where is your shop located where if I'm not able to make the in-person tune date up in Seattle in a couple weeks?

Joe

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you @JennaBear I will have to give you a call here soon. Since making this thread, unfortunately I have found out that I have a water leak that now needs my attention before spending on "go fast" goodies... so I will be getting that fixed along with replacing my driver door hinges. Darn repairs squashing all my fun... Where is your shop located where if I'm not able to make the in-person tune date up in Seattle in a couple weeks?

Joe
We are in San Diego, CA but the guys can take care of tuning remotely as well.

Sent from my fone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas