Best backup camera install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now it's time to put it all back together. Replace the spring then the ring that goes over it all. I used a pair of thin needle nose pliers to compress everything down enough to put the pin back in that holds it all down. This can be a pain but it can be done lol

IMG_0879.JPG

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can now replace the white piece that that snaps in the back and covers everything but before you, you will need to notch a hole in the side to allow the camera wires to slide through. This is about the perfect spot to put the hole.

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you need to do now is replace the metal piece on the very end and put the washer and lock ring back on.

IMG_0882.JPG

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got mine installed, but was not able to figure out how to retain function of the button due to the way it all reassembles (as ivin74 pointed out, it's quite tightly fit together).

One other thing to remember as you're installing it is the need to temporarily power it on and mark the camera top and bottom. Otherwise it will be crooked since it is cylindrical with no discernable top/bottom.

Now that it's done, I'm happy with the results, but if I had to do it over again, I would not have since it was such a frustrating process (and my license plate camera worked fine).

One other thing to note, the diameter of the camera is less than that of the inside of the button. I used electrical tape to wrap several times around the camera to give it a larger diameter.

I've attached a photo of what it looks like (my monitor is in my rear view mirror).

If I can get good enough on CAD, I will 3D print something that will ot only mount the camera, but make the button work. I'm also considering just putting an actuator on the glass release and putting a button in the dash.

rearview.jpg
I finally got the write up done. Now that you can see how I did mine, what did you do differently in yours?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Thanks it's my first so I was hoping it would turn out alright lol
If anyone tries it let me know how it turns out for them. I'm hoping I was able to explain everything well enough for them to do it on their own.

Great write up and very detail. I should be getting my camera today and will be doing the mod Saturday.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang. Good job! When I first saw the assembled pic I wasn't sure how it was done lol... But now I see and shouldn't be too hard for others to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts