Bent tie rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever have steering problems, lose control on the highway, or have brake pull due to a bent tie rod?

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bent tie rod could result in a brake pull. It would be noticeable while not braking as well though. Non-level steering wheel with a pull left or right which would be multiplied while braking.

A bent tie rod would completely throw out your toe and result in accelerated tire wear which would be noticeable on the inner or outer edge or your tire over time.

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The steering wheel is still level, but there is a great amount of wander which gets worse with speed. Had a shop tell me that I had a bent tie rod when I got an alignment (thought they were mistaken and just referring to the angels after leveling). Has me completely stumped, but has gotten so bad that I won't take it over 60 on the highway cuz it gets so unpredictable.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something like that, it's hard to suggest anything without being able to physically drive the vehicle.

I remember you mentioned it didn't happen until you installed your new setup. Did you ever try swapping back to your old wheels and tires? Or have you checked the suspension on the rear? Specifically the panhard rail?

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how to check the rear,,I know the shocks are decent but as far as control arms etc I'm not sure. Sway bar same thing as Panhard rail?

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I had the new setup on for a few weeks before this started. I already sold my factory setup, but I did swap the front tires which produced no difference.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have your rear sway bar and you also have the panhard rail some people call it a track bar. It's attached to the frame on the right and goes down diagonally to the left side of the rear axle. It's what helps keep the axle centered under the truck. If it's loose in any way or the welds to its brackets are loose or broken. It will give you the feeling of rockin back and forth really bad especially on the highway with the slightest bit of wind.

Did you say you had your gear box replaced or worked on?

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes i did have a steering box recently replaced. I also replaced tie rods today and it still nose dives hard to the right while braking. It still goes into a swaying motion at highway speeds.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright. We're gonna get this takin care of, just bare with us. It may get aggravating and seem repetitive but let's start from the top...

Unstable highway speeds and hard pull right when braking.

Have you or has anyone suggested swapping the front two tires LH to RH and vice versa? To see if that makes any difference? (EDIT: Never mind I see you said that was done)

Just to reverify, what all has been done to the truck. Wheels, tires, tie rods, gear box, I'm assuming an alignment... everything? What else?

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pitman arm and idler arm 35k miles ago. New poly front sway end link bushings, shock extenders for the level. Took front shocks loose from the bottom the other day to test and they were very firm, doing the same with the rears now. Panhard and rear sway seem firm. The pull may be a rear caliper, the fronts have no problem engaging I've lifted it and checked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts