Bent tie rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry you had to dish out some extra cash but glad it's figured out and you'll be back on the road safe again.

That was pretty much the last resort, condemning the gearbox even though it didn't have a ton of miles on it. It's a bit more pricey which is why I was really hopin it was your stabilizer that had gone bad, giving you that death wobble.

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, damn box hasn't been on a month! Won't buy from Detroit axle again.

DJBobzilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Man I am having the same issues.. It used to just sway when I went over 70mph or so, or if the road dips and now its when ever I drive. Especially when I brake, it dives left.

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I am having the same issues.. It used to just sway when I went over 70mph or so, or if the road dips and now its when ever I drive. Especially when I brake, it dives left.

I never actually solved my problem DJ. I ended up buying another car and letting the tahoe sit I was so fed up with it and scared to drive it. Spent probably around $2k trying to tighten up steering and handling. About the only thing I can think of left is fukd torsion bars. Getting my sanity back for a while, probably start taking it to some more shops soon. Got too much in it to sell for cheap, but it is definitely getting annoying. Damn $2400 worth of wheels and tires just sitting there.

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@wafflecakes13

Were the shocks ever replaced on your Tahoe?

The shocks on there have about 30k miles on them, which granted doesn't mean much. I have done multiple bump tests on all 4 corners with good results. I also detached the shock from the bottom bolt and pushed them in testing for resistance. They were all extremely hard to move by hand so I'm guessing they are in fine working order.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you didnt but it new and dont know without 100% certainty that it has never been wrecked then I would check ALL frame welds and signs of frame being bent. Also check your control arms and see if they are bent. Get the fornt wheels off the ground and have someone move your tires (one side at a time) inward and outward while you lay underneath looking for any play. See if the relay rod is jumping up and down any during the tires being pushed in and outward. Something as simple as a nasty pothole can ruin an idler arm. Check it real close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts