Benefits of the diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryan8252

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I see several people on here posting that if given their choice, they would take the diesel engine in the Yukon. GM Authority also says that the Tahoes and Suburbans with the diesel engine fly off dealer lots. As someone who has only driven gas engine vehicles, what is the pull to the diesel? Is the gas mileage that much better? Please enlighten me.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Highway trip. My family just got home from a road trip down to SLO region in California. On our way back we stopped at the Cottage Grove, OR rest stop. The "drive summary" is the rest of the drive home - with some Portland traffic and a few traffic lights before we got home. At this point the engine is up to full operating temp, no rain, cool ambient temps, etc. etc. Ideal conditions for peak fuel economy, but it shows you what the engine is capable of - if you keep your speed at 65mph or lower. At 70mph and above the drag really starts to take its toll and the mpgs drop below 30.

That said, to better answer your initial question - I bought the diesel because:

1) No dynamic fuel management like on the V8s (every OEM that has engines that turn on/off cylinders ends up having problems)

2) Low end torque is awesome - combined with a 10 speed it tows like a champ.

3) Quieter than the V8 at highway speeds (no exhaust drone and the diesel clatter is imperceptible)

4) It's a new diesel engine designed from the ground up to have a DPF/SCR system. They "fixed" a lot of the problems other diesel engines are having with the emission systems.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One big reason NOT to buy a turbodiesel, is too many short trips and not enough long ones.
Gasoline engines tolerate operating UNDER their intended operating temp window better than turbodiesels.

OP
OP
B

bryan8252

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One big reason NOT to buy a turbodiesel, is too many short trips and not enough long ones.
Gasoline engines tolerate operating UNDER their intended operating temp window better than turbodiesels.

I am not knowledgable regarding the diesel engines. What is considered "short trips" as far as they go?

And the reason that I am even looking into a diesel is because I have read some of the horror stories recently about the gas engines leaving people stuck on the side of the road. Obviously I am trying to avoid that.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baloney.... I've short tripped mine for 3 years now. Occasional 30- 50 mile runs may be twice a month. Other wise most days less than 10 miles. No issues... Worst City MPG... 20 MPG....

Reaction score
I see several people on here posting that if given their choice, they would take the diesel engine in the Yukon. GM Authority also says that the Tahoes and Suburbans with the diesel engine fly off dealer lots. As someone who has only driven gas engine vehicles, what is the pull to the diesel? Is the gas mileage that much better? Please enlighten me.
From what I've seen, diesel engines tend to be better on fuel compared to gas engines, especially in big vehicles like trucks or SUVs. If you're often towing or carrying heavy stuff, you'll really notice the difference because you won't need to fill up as often. That's a big plus for a lot of people who drive a lot or use their vehicles for heavy-duty work.

vadorsnake04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is old thinking related to old diesel technology. It’s simply not true anymore.

I am on my third modern diesel (2017 L5P duramax, 2018 Cummins, 2022 Cummins). My daily drive to work is 8 min and I make that drive 6 times a day almost every day. No issues.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is old thinking related to old diesel technology. It’s simply not true anymore.
I am on my third modern diesel (2017 L5P duramax, 2018 Cummins, 2022 Cummins).
My daily drive to work is 8 min and I make that drive 6 times a day almost every day. No issues.
If this holds true after 275k miles, I'll be GLAD to admit that things have changed for the better,
and thank y'all for the good news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pamelapanian

Latest posts