Belltech drop w/ autoride and no spacer in the rear? Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got my Belltech 2/3-4 drop put on the Tahoe last week. Right now, I'm sitting @ 35-1/2" in the rear, ground to fender lip. I'm thinking I'd like to remove the rear 1" spacer and see how I like it -- but, I'm also wondering what to expect with the autoride compressor. I have the Belltech shortened links in the rear, and I'm wondering if removing the spacer and doing nothing more with the links is going to allow the truck to drop another inch in the rear, or if the truck will try to air up the rear back to 35-1/2".

If you are running Belltech 5305 springs and removed the rear spacer, did you also shorten the Belltech links even more? Or, did the truck come down that 1" without doing anything more to the links?

What does your rear measure without the spacer? (Remember what it was with the spacer, too?)

Thanks, folks!

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got my Belltech 2/3-4 drop put on the Tahoe last week. Right now, I'm sitting @ 35-1/2" in the rear, ground to fender lip. I'm thinking I'd like to remove the rear 1" spacer and see how I like it -- but, I'm also wondering what to expect with the autoride compressor. I have the Belltech shortened links in the rear, and I'm wondering if removing the spacer and doing nothing more with the links is going to allow the truck to drop another inch in the rear, or if the truck will try to air up the rear back to 35-1/2".

If you are running Belltech 5305 springs and removed the rear spacer, did you also shorten the Belltech links even more? Or, did the truck come down that 1" without doing anything more to the links?

What does your rear measure without the spacer? (Remember what it was with the spacer, too?)

Thanks, folks!

To get the truck down more you will need to cut the links to about 2.75 from center/center. You can just call me next time since I do so many of them I can answer your question faster over the phone.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info post. Is this the same with the suburban?

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get the truck down more you will need to cut the links to about 2.75 from center/center. You can just call me next time since I do so many of them I can answer your question faster over the phone.

Thanks for the offer to have me call you, Tony. I know you're always available -- but I also know you're usually busy. That, and by posting here, you allow others in on your insight, too. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Just so I understand, do you mean that I need to shorten the links EVEN WITH the spacer IN to bring the rear down further? Or, do you mean that IF I take the spacer out, THEN (and only then) I need to shorten the links?

If the truck will sit lower than 35-1/2" WITH the spacer in, as long as I shorten the links first, then I'll keep the spacer in. I'd like the rear to be at or just under 35". Do I need to pull that spacer in order to get to just under 35", or do I just need to shorten the links (with the spacer in place)?

I DO plan on cutting the spacer in half, assuming that that will get me exactly where I want to be...

If you could clarify, Tony, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
take the spacer out of the rear and see how it sets up for you. If its still to high then make it 2.75 inches from center/center on the ball mounts.

you want to make sure not to make the links to short to a point when you lift the truck up they pull right ou of the ball mounts. So lift up truck and pop the mount up and move the mount on the frame and measure the shortest distance from center to center of the mounts and then you can make the rod 1/4 inch longer.

Main thing you do not want to make the rods to short so when you lift the truck off the ground they pull right out.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Tony. And would I HAVE to do the free travel mod without that spacer, or do you think I shouldn't need to? (Maybe it's not necessary with autoride trucks, for some reason?)

Also, is there the option of just cutting down the bumpstops instead of cutting the BS bracket off? I'll probably go with whatever option DOESN'T require cutting off the BS bracket.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
your only trying to get 1/2 inch you should be fine. You prob can make the links shorter to trick the back into coming down also without pulling out spacer.

Now that I think of it pull the spacer out and take it for a ride without changing the link size. Tell me how you think the ride is. It should be a little stiffer since more air is in the shocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony -- I don't want the ride any stiffer. I want to go the route that makes it the LEAST stiff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
if you take spacer out and let rear down will have less air in shocks. IF you keep levelers at same position it will fill up shocks more to lift the back up

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you take spacer out and let rear down will have less air in shocks. IF you keep levelers at same position it will fill up shocks more to lift the back up

That's my understanding.

Could you just confirm my suspicion once and for all: more air in the shocks = stiffer/harsher ride?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076