2/4 drop issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just bit the bullet. I dropped the coin on some Belltech coilovers. I'm going to leave the spindles in place for now and use the coilovers to get the nose down to where I'm happy with it.
Thanks for your assistance
Now you're getting serious.
I was going to comment in an earlier post about how you can get the snowball effect once you start lowering but you just grabbed the bull by both horns getting some coil-overs.
Like dub, I am very interested to hear how they drive/handle and please post pictures of the install if you are doing it yourself.

OP
OP
signguy62

signguy62

Reaction score
Now you're getting serious.
I was going to comment in an earlier post about how you can get the snowball effect once you start lowering but you just grabbed the bull by both horns getting some coil-overs.
Like dub, I am very interested to hear how they drive/handle and please post pictures of the install if you are doing it yourself.
The install should be pretty straight forward. The coilovers come completely assembled. So it's just like doing a "ready strut". 3 nuts at the top and 2 bolts at the bottom.

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The install should be pretty straight forward. The coilovers come completely assembled. So it's just like doing a "ready strut". 3 nuts at the top and a bolt through the bottom.

They came out with those after I rebuilt my front end and put a smorgashbord of parts to drop my PPV. I just haven't seen many installs with them. I'm a visual kinda guy :)

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the spacer for the rear springs. Belltech’s advertised drops for the rear springs are wrong. It’s a 4” with the spacer and 5” without.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan wish you hit me up. My pricing is cheaper than anyone on belltech items.

OP
OP
signguy62

signguy62

Reaction score
The install should be pretty straight forward. The coilovers come completely assembled. So it's just like doing a "ready strut". 3 nuts at the top and 2 bolts at the bottom.
Boy was I wrong. Not only does Belltech ship these coilovers no where near ready to install. Once you get them setup per their instructions, they don't just bolt up.
The three studs at the top don't quite line up with the mounting holes in the sping pockets. And they're quite a bit longer than the factory strut assembly (imagine that, a "drop" suspension part that's actually longer/taller than the factory part).
To remove the factory strut it was remove the sway bar end link, unbolt the three top mounting nuts, remove the two lower mounting bolts and simply push down on the control arms and the strut assembly drops free.
Installing the coilovers requires disconnecting the tie rod and separating the upper ball joint from the spindle, in order to get the lower control arm to drop low enough to get the longer "drop" coilover to fit.
Belltech really dropped the ball on these. Their directions tell you to follow removal procedures to reinstall......they forgot to mention all the other steps.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy was I wrong. Not only does Belltech ship these coilovers no where near ready to install. Once you get them setup per their instructions, they don't just bolt up.
The three studs at the top don't quite line up with the mounting holes in the sping pockets. And they're quite a bit longer than the factory strut assembly (imagine that, a "drop" suspension part that's actually longer/taller than the factory part).
To remove the factory strut it was remove the sway bar end link, unbolt the three top mounting nuts, remove the two lower mounting bolts and simply push down on the control arms and the strut assembly drops free.
Installing the coilovers requires disconnecting the tie rod and separating the upper ball joint from the spindle, in order to get the lower control arm to drop low enough to get the longer "drop" coilover to fit.
Belltech really dropped the ball on these. Their directions tell you to follow removal procedures to reinstall......they forgot to mention all the other steps.

I've noticed BT aren't the best with their instructions even with other, simpler products. My suggestion is to disregard them and use common sense and mechanical ability. The stud-to-mounting hole mismatch is a shame. But the rest can easily be overcome. If it were me, I'd pretend I wanted a 3" drop and lower the perch all the way to make the coilover as short as possible for installation, then adjust up from there. There's no need to match the original height perfectly then adjust down from there. The spring is probably longer and softer, which would attest for the reported better ride quality. A longer and softer spring would compress more, but the shock will still expand to its maximum and there will still be some pressure on the perch. It should still be much easier to compress to install. For longer-than-stock struts, such as with lift spacers, I use a scissor jack and block of wood to push up on (compress) the strut until I can pull it in to position on the lower control arm by hand or with a pry bar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signguy62

signguy62

Reaction score
I've noticed BT aren't the best with their instructions even with other, simpler products. My suggestion is to disregard them and use common sense and mechanical ability. The stud-to-mounting hole mismatch is a shame. But the rest can easily be overcome. If it were me, I'd pretend I wanted a 3" drop and lower the perch all the way to make the coilover as short as possible for installation, then adjust up from there. There's no need to match the original height perfectly then adjust down from there. The spring is probably longer and softer, which would attest for the reported better ride quality. A longer and softer spring would compress more, but the shock will still expand to its maximum and there will still be some pressure on the perch. It should still be much easier to compress to install. For longer-than-stock struts, such as with lift spacers, I use a scissor jack and block of wood to push up on (compress) the strut until I can pull it in to position on the lower control arm by hand or with a pry bar.
Thanks!
That's what I'm doing. Got the passenger side in. Working on driver side now. Much appreciate the help.

OP
OP
signguy62

signguy62

Reaction score
They are a pain in the ass to install...But they're in. Need to be adjusted a little still.

Attachments

• 20230902_171458.jpg
    20230902_171458.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230902_171415.jpg
    20230902_171415.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 11

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice from iamdub, I would've suggested the same thing. Especially having experience with BT stuff in the past.
Now's the fun part, adjust them and getter going.
They look good man, congrats.
Definitely looking for a review when you get some miles on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660