Belltech drop = stiff ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emilime75

Reaction score
On my 05 Suburban, I've got the following installed

Front
Belltech 2" spindles
De-cranked torsion bars a bit
Removed bump stops

Rear
Belltech 5305-001 springs, not using spacers
DJM hardware kit
DJM shock relocators
Spohn lower trailing arms
OEM Autoride shocks, new
OEM Autoride compressor, new
Shortened Autoride sensor rods
Free travel mod

285/45/22

My problem is that it rides really stiff, both small and large bumps/pot holes/expansion gaps are really jarring and I hate it. Previously, I had MaxTrac lowering springs on it and along with the new Autoride shocks it rode really, really nice. I only installed the Belltech springs because I wanted it lower and the MaxTrac springs are a 2" spring.

I thought everything I've read online about the Belltech springs is that they ride really good, and not all what I'm feeling. Anyone else think their Belltech springs ride really harsh?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you just change to the 22's or were they on before? Also, are you sure your autoride is functioning correctly, does it run for a few seconds and air up a bit?

OP
OP
E

emilime75

Reaction score
The 22s have been on for about a year now. All of the Autoride stuff is a couple of months old, and it's working correcrly. It rode great with the Maxtrac 2" springs and all new Autoride parts. Only change was Belltech 5301 springs and I shortened the sensor rods a bit more.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure then. I have Belltech springs but nothing to compare them to except the stock setup, and I also went to 26" rims when I lowered mine so it was a huge difference. Mine does ride pretty good, considering, except when I hit things like the sharp edges of pavement, etc. , then it hits hard. But then I have pretty much rubber bands for tires so there's not much give there. It's possible your shocks don't have enough travel now; maybe try making the sensor rods the same as before to see if it helps.

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
One thing you did wrong is remove the front bump stops which aren't actually bump stops. They are jounce bumpers. Basically part of the front suspension. Without them the suspension has no resistance.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing you did wrong is remove the front bump stops which aren't actually bump stops. They are jounce bumpers. Basically part of the front suspension. Without them the suspension has no resistance.
Good eye- I didn't notice that. Surprised the front suspension is working at all.

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
Another thing I did that I really like is added the airlift helper bags. Makes the rear seem more firm and positive

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
The front works fine, the problem is in the back.
Well regardless you should put the jounce bumpers back in. They are supposed to touch and give progressive resistance. As far as the rear, are your shocks actually filling up? If not that may be the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts