BCM changes? Dealer only?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you make changes to the BCM with a tuner or is that only for the ECM?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

With EFI Live or a handheld tuner you can change the tune in the ECM/PCM.
I called GM about reprogramming my BCM to eliminate the hyper flash when the BCM senses low resistance of LED bulbs.....they have a program/file/tune for the BCM of flatbeds that use LEDs but said it won’t work and they won’t make one for my 13 LTZ.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

AKAIK you need the appropriate GM scan tool. For the GMT900 you need access to a Tech2. You can buy your own and purchase a 3 day subscription and program modules yourself or have the dealer do it.

Every man ought to have a Tech2 for his truck. It's as essential as a box of wrenches.

OP
OP
LanceD

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming the legit tech 2 is the $4000 one and the $275 ones are clones? Anything wrong with using a clone to make changes?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last company to sell the Tech2 is Vetronix and they have them made in China. The Chicoms then sell them too. It's my understanding that this is ok since GM moved on to a different system. There are differences between the various Tech2s. Maybe a 10% difference to squeeze by copywrite laws? IDK. The menu options are different between the various manufacturers, OTC, Bosch, Vetronix, etc. Mine cannot duplicate cards and does not have the simulator capability, I think.

However, it has been an invaluable asset in working on my truck and helping you folks out. It's the most important tool a man can own for taking care of his truck. I see guys throw tons of money at their problems not to mention the countless hours wasted when one these tools could've pointed them in the right direction within minutes. Every man ought to have one.

OP
OP
LanceD

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last company to sell the Tech2 is Vetronix and they have them made in China. The Chicoms then sell them too. It's my understanding that this is ok since GM moved on to a different system. There are differences between the various Tech2s. Maybe a 10% difference to squeeze by copywrite laws? IDK. The menu options are different between the various manufacturers, OTC, Bosch, Vetronix, etc. Mine cannot duplicate cards and does not have the simulator capability, I think.

However, it has been an invaluable asset in working on my truck and helping you folks out. It's the most important tool a man can own for taking care of his truck. I see guys throw tons of money at their problems not to mention the countless hours wasted when one these tools could've pointed them in the right direction within minutes. Every man ought to have one.

Which is the best of the clones and where to buy from?

Teeroy78

Reaction score
@Teeroy78 @Rocket Man

These fellas should have current links.
@LanceD
I ordered this one from eBay, seller is “discountparts_90”.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=222552451148&view=all&tid=2033498562012

Make sure you specify GM English V33.004. When you get it and can’t quite get the card into the top slot, just use a pair of pliers to bend the lip of the door covering the card bay. I go into more details in my Tech 2 thread here:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/finally-getting-a-tech2.100268/

Learn from my experiences and mistakes in the process of sourcing, purchasing, and setting up for the first time. :)

I have only scratched the surface with my Tech 2 yet, and it has already proven its worth to me. James is absolutely right, everyone mechanically inclined enough to hang out on this forum with one of these trucks should get a Tech 2. Just make sure you’re 2013 or older. 2014 *might* work if you fake it out as a 2013, but no guarantees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo