Battery drain on a 99 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you saying completely dead? You didn't say. The first place I always start is by unplugging the alternator and see if drain goes away. You can put a DVOM between the negative post on battery and the cable end and measure milli amps and post that result here. If alternator unplug does not take care of problem, then you start by unplugging fuses, while DVOM is attached, and see what circuit fuse stops the big milli amp draw. All this needs to be done with a completely charged battery. Make sure you don't have a hidden light on somewhere. Any work done before having this problem?

OP
OP
D

djfive45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you saying completely dead? You didn't say. The first place I always start is by unplugging the alternator and see if drain goes away. You can put a DVOM between the negative post on battery and the cable end and measure milli amps and post that result here. If alternator unplug does not take care of problem, then you start by unplugging fuses, while DVOM is attached, and see what circuit fuse stops the big milli amp draw. All this needs to be done with a completely charged battery. Make sure you don't have a hidden light on somewhere. Any work done before having this problem?
Only a new battery. 1st one was put in last September, car sat for a month went dead. Took it back to autozone and replaced it about a month ago. Pulled the instrument cluster since I'm having issues there. Waiting on replacement. This tahoe came from MN. Also looks like some of the ground wires I've seen so far need to be cleaned up. Firewall to block and frame. Still looking for more

OP
OP
D

djfive45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Only a new battery. 1st one was put in last September, car sat for a month went dead. Took it back to autozone and replaced it about a month ago. Pulled the instrument cluster since I'm having issues there. Waiting on replacement. This tahoe came from MN. Also looks like some of the ground wires I've seen so far need to be cleaned up. Firewall to block and frame. Still looking for more
Yes It goes dead after 4 or 5 days. Kept it on a battery tender before I pulled the cluster

OP
OP
D

djfive45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you talking about the fuses under the hood? The cluster guy I talked to said to pull the cluster if it still has a drain he mentioned some fuse under the hood. Have to go back and read which ine he said.
For some reason I can't see what OR VeitVet posted

OP
OP
D

djfive45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
By unplugging the alternator and it doesn't drain battery does that mean the alternator is bad?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
By unplugging the alternator and it doesn't drain battery does that mean the alternator is bad?
There are diodes internally in the alternator. They are designed to allow current to flow one direction. If they fail and allow current flow two directions, that can cause a draw on the battery. If you unplug the alternator and that stops the draw, it means you take the radiator cap off and drive a new vehicle under it and install the radiator cap and you are good to go.

NOOOOOO....it means the alternator should be replaced.