Battery dead 2016 yukon xl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2016yukxL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 yukon xl 5.3. W/55k miles. Wife drove home and called me to tell me we have a dead battery when she tryed to leave. Clicking noise ect. Got jumped, drove another 40 miles to our other house fine. I replaced the battery (it was corroded and original), cleaned it all up. Truck drove fine, started fine for about 2 weeks. Woke up this morning and click click click again. I waited with the key in "on" position, then heard the door chime start dinging, then tryed again and it started. Clock said 12:00, volt gauge reading 15ish so the battery deff lost its charge.

I know this is a common problem but has anyone really found the fix for this?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2016 yukon xl 5.3. W/55k miles. Wife drove home and called me to tell me we have a dead battery when she tryed to leave. Clicking noise ect. Got jumped, drove another 40 miles to our other house fine. I replaced the battery (it was corroded and original), cleaned it all up. Truck drove fine, started fine for about 2 weeks. Woke up this morning and click click click again. I waited with the key in "on" position, then heard the door chime start dinging, then tryed again and it started. Clock said 12:00, volt gauge reading 15ish so the battery deff lost its charge.

Well, it's one or two things. First would be corroded battery cables. They corrode internally and ought to be replaced after time, depending on where you live with regards to salted roads and corrossion.

The other reason is distance. If your wife makes many short trips or the truck sits for say a week and then makes a couple short trips, the battery never gets a change to become recharged. The solution is to get her out onto the highway for an hour or so to get fully charged up and burn off all the condensation in the crankcase and or put the truck on a battery tender to maintain the battery.

OP
OP

2016yukxL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, it's one or two things. First would be corroded battery cables. They corrode internally and ought to be replaced after time, depending on where you live with regards to salted roads and corrossion.

The other reason is distance. If your wife makes many short trips or the truck sits for say a week and then makes a couple short trips, the battery never gets a change to become recharged. The solution is to get her out onto the highway for an hour or so to get fully charged up and burn off all the condensation in the crankcase and or put the truck on a battery tender to maintain the battery.
I think the short trips can be ruled out, she was driving to our new house when it first happen and its 40 mins away highway driving. The battery at the time was corroded on the positive side post. I lost/broke the red little plastic cover that goes over the the positive lead post. So inthink that added to my corrosion. Since then I replaced the battery and clean the positve cable up. Fast forward to yesterday.....it did rain the night befor, and notice a little puddle of water around the positive post. Not sure if that has anything to do with it as as well.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the short trips can be ruled out, she was driving to our new house when it first happen and its 40 mins away highway driving. The battery at the time was corroded on the positive side post. I lost/broke the red little plastic cover that goes over the the positive lead post. So inthink that added to my corrosion. Since then I replaced the battery and clean the positve cable up. Fast forward to yesterday.....it did rain the night befor, and notice a little puddle of water around the positive post. Not sure if that has anything to do with it as as well.
That water can leak down into the cable and cause corrosion. You can't see it. Replace the red protectors and cable is what I would do if mine were yours. Every time I buy a used car, those red caps are busted, I replace them. Those around me have battery issues for mechanic reasons, mine are usually self-inflicted!

OP
OP

2016yukxL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That water can leak down into the cable and cause corrosion. You can't see it. Replace the red protectors and cable is what I would do if mine were yours. Every time I buy a used car, those red caps are busted, I replace them. Those around me have battery issues for mechanic reasons, mine are usually self-inflicted!
Okay sounds good...trying to google the part number for a replacment cap but having a hard time finding it. Gonna look for the cable and cap and replace. Ty

otew635

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Did u ever solve this issue?