barn door to tail gate conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigbubbaYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Barn door crazyness

Hey everyone.. I'm new here -- just found this site...

I have a '96 GMC Yukon 2 door with the stinkin' barn doors... Can anyone tell me why these things rattle, squeek, squeal, and creek so much?! I hate them! :emotions122:
I had a '94 2 door Yukon before this one and it had the lift gate. That old thing didn't have a single rattle compared to this one. How can I make these stinkin' doors solid enough to where they won't make noise? The Chevy dealership told me it needed newer weather stripping.. So I changed it and they still squeal and creek..

I also was reading an old thread here about the conversion to lift gates.. I was just at the junk yard today and looked at the body on both the lift gate model and the barn door model.. Aside from bolt holes, the metal plates next to the tail lights, weather stripping and a few other little things, the body's pretty much the same.. This could be done???

1999hoe

aka HOVERHOE
Reaction score
i wouldnt mind the barn doors...i slammed my window shut..and now im scared to use it most the time..she just blew up!!but i do like having a tailgate..thats what makes it a truck..not a van!!lol.IMOpicture.jpg

well shit... wash them damn windows and maybe they wont break lol

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
Barn doors are the shit... your crazy for wanting to convert.

+1 :waytogo:

I really like the barn doors, way better than a tailgate IMO. They do get noisy as shit though, their only draw back which is easy to live with for me.

If you do have barn doors, look in the door jam toward the top inner side and make sure you take a Dremel tool to polish up those connection mounts for the electric door locks. My locks didn't work on the truck when I first got it. I used the wire wheel on my Dremel and polished/ sanded off all of the corrosion and then they worked fine. Cool little trick I was told by GM Mechanic friend of mine.

Last edited:

geramontes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
im currently working in this conversion on my 99 two door tahoe. i dont like the barn doors and i decide to do the rear tailgate conversion. i went to the junk yard and i got a rear tailgate and a the glass from a 97 suburban, i took everything but the lower tailgate brackets since they are welded on. everything almost fit in my tahoe. im not gonna use the rear wiper so i deleted it. yesterday i did the lower brackets and i welded the tailgate lock bolts to the sides of the door, takes a lot of time and measurements to get the tailgate aligned. here are some pics

11025150_1562154604066171_2377152433501209003_n.jpg

10997811_1562154644066167_1748436954711892316_n.jpg

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
barn doors are so much better when you loading things like furnature you can open the doors far enough so they dont get in the way and i think my perents ordered this tahoe with barn doors becuase the vertical hatch couldnt be opened with the boat hooked up
i also in my garage id have to be careful every time i opened the rear hatch because it would hit the garage door

Last edited:

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
It's funny how everyone has their funny preferences. I LOVE the barn doors on my Tahoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

I realized I used funny twice there. Wow. That's what you get for posting and playing with your toddler at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the barn doors; its a lot easier loading stuff into the back, especially if you have a bad back(like me). You can get a lot closer to the rear deck without having to bend and stretch over the tailgate.
You definitely give up a bit of rear view mirror visual "clearance" over the liftgate but its worth it for me.
Tbruz

mattss90

Reaction score
while looking to buy myself a 2 door that was in great shape, i passed on so many barn door tahoes before i found mine. I say tail gates all the way. Good for backing the truck up to the party and sitting on the gate and brinking some beers. :party52: :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris709