Ball Joints R&R 99 Tahoe 4X4 4 door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fixer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems I may have done one of those bad things where I asked a question in a tech thread. My apologies!

I am wondering if I should put the wheels back on, lower the truck back down and do step one, which is unloading the torsion bars in this tutorial? http://www.tribalvisiontruck.com/balljoints.htm Or can I unload the torsion bars with the vehicle raised and finally, can the ball joint replacement be done if I were to continue without unloading the torsion bars?

I'm thinking I should have reviewed the tutorial before I started and I should probably lower it and start back at square on tomorrow, but if you experts tell me it isn't necessary, then why bother.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
put the frame on jacks and load the lower control arm slightly with floor jack while you get the shaft and knuckle off the vehicle then while the floor jack is still supporting the control arm press it out. do not release the control arm tension! if you are not equipped to do it that way you may have to just unload the arm completely and take the arm to a shop to do.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see no reason to unload the torsion bar, just leave the shock attached to the LCA while you R&R the lower BJ. or just place a jack stand under the control arm.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way I did mine was to leave a jack under the LCA and still had a jack stand under the frame rail.

Things can slip so be careful.

OP
OP
F

Fixer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I decided to take the 15 minutes and lower her back to the floor and begin again at square one. I've got all day.

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done it 3 different ways for the lower ball joint.

The worst way:
Put my Tahoe on the car lift, pulled the cv axle.
Ratchet strapped the upper a-arm and knuckle out of the way.
Beat the ball joint out with a 3lb mini sledge.
Used a jack to level the arm with the floor and used a parts house
Exhaust pipe joint to hold the new ball joint while I beat the arm down onto the balljoint.
Lol yeah you read that right. I was 17, i could've dropped my truck off of the lift easily.

The next time was the same procedure except I had the upper arm off the truck.

The last time was my favorite way to do it.
Put it on the lift.
Unload torsions.
Pull the arm completely off.
Take it to someone else and have them put the ball joint in with the appropriate tool since my press frame is too small. Have them install new bushings too.
Pay the man and reinstall the lower arm.
The shop only charged me $60.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn