Balance weights on rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

casmier14

Reaction score
Let's use my rim for example.... Its an 8 star rim, where should the weights go when balancing them. On top of the back lip or the side of the lip...what I'm trying to do is hide the weights from being exposed....

Last edited:

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Depends. Most of the time if it's aftermarket it goes on the back lips because clips on ones can't be used and stick on ones can be.
My 26s have few on the back lip and the rest clipped on to the side of the back lips where they are not visible. My rim allowed for clip on style weights.

Wakinvol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some shops will have the balance machine that calculates for spokes...and the weights can be placed behind the spokes so they don't show

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have worked at a few tire shops in the past. The best balance is to have 2 sets of weights, one closest to each lip. That is not an option on alot of wheels obviously. Second way is to have a weight on the inside lip and stick on weights behind the spokes. Third way is to have one row of stick on weights down the center of the wheel. Last way is to just have weights on the inside lip.
That list is from best to worst way to balance a tire.

Sierkonblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick on weights are used for most of the aftermarket wheels. If you have big enough tires, talc powder can also be used...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belveman