Baiting GMC Dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PizzaSauce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The people that are saying this could have been an honest mistake are clueless. The appointment setters goal is to get you in the door. They'll do or say anything. So annoying.

Yep, this isn't some mistake lol. Most dealerships #1 goal (even in 2022 for some dumb reason) is to get people in the door. They know exactly what they're doing.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue, called a SoCal dealer about a Tahoe they showed as in stock and advertised at MSRP. Drove 4 hrs for them to tell me they have a 10k markup.....they did have the truck and it was available, so yeah the dealers will do anything to get ya in the door...

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they did have the truck and it was available, so yeah the dealers will do anything to get ya in the door...
That's because they know if you say no to the available truck that's there on the lot (unicorn these days) the next guy through the door will say yes to the $10k markup and be taking it home

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue, called a SoCal dealer about a Tahoe they showed as in stock and advertised at MSRP. Drove 4 hrs for them to tell me they have a 10k markup.....they did have the truck and it was available, so yeah the dealers will do anything to get ya in the door...
I believe I'd be so upset I'd just have to name the dealership.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I'd be so upset I'd just have to name the dealership.
I think it was Harbor Chevrolet, it was a total poop show at that dealer. If I remember, I sent a very nasty letter to GM about the experience.

It was just a bad all around experience, I had been communicating with a Sales guy via text and I set an appointment, come to the appointment day, I text him to make sure the Tahoe was still there and available, he let me know it was and I let him know I was on my way and I should be there in about 4hrs.

I get there and ask for the guy I was speaking with only to find out he was off that day...so that started off on the wrong foot, but they did have the Tahoe so I went along for a bit, test drove it etc. Loved it(White RST with LUX and RSE, Pano Roof) and since there is not much stock anywhere, I asked them to throw numbers together and it just took a downward spiral at that point, they wanted to give me next to nothing for my trade, 10k over MSRP and they wanted like 12k cash down...it was like out in the stratosphere in the way of numbers.

I told them no and they went back n forth with me and even tried to get me to agree to a LT trim....

I walked and realized they still have my keys for my car, so that was fun...they could not find the keys...like WTF? Lucky for me I had my backup keys and once I said that and was leaving they magically found my keys....

PTSD is starting to set in after recounting this experience :p

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's because they know if you say no to the available truck that's there on the lot (unicorn these days) the next guy through the door will say yes to the $10k markup and be taking it home
Pretty much.

For me it worked out, as we got a better SUV for a better price :)

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was Harbor Chevrolet, it was a total poop show at that dealer. If I remember, I sent a very nasty letter to GM about the experience.

It was just a bad all around experience, I had been communicating with a Sales guy via text and I set an appointment, come to the appointment day, I text him to make sure the Tahoe was still there and available, he let me know it was and I let him know I was on my way and I should be there in about 4hrs.

I get there and ask for the guy I was speaking with only to find out he was off that day...so that started off on the wrong foot, but they did have the Tahoe so I went along for a bit, test drove it etc. Loved it(White RST with LUX and RSE, Pano Roof) and since there is not much stock anywhere, I asked them to throw numbers together and it just took a downward spiral at that point, they wanted to give me next to nothing for my trade, 10k over MSRP and they wanted like 12k cash down...it was like out in the stratosphere in the way of numbers.

I told them no and they went back n forth with me and even tried to get me to agree to a LT trim....

I walked and realized they still have my keys for my car, so that was fun...they could not find the keys...like WTF? Lucky for me I had my backup keys and once I said that and was leaving they magically found my keys....

PTSD is starting to set in after recounting this experience :p
Just deplorable the way some are acting I hope karma gets them. With GMs record $14 billion profit largely on the backs of the suv buyers they should be very amenable to us as a group.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me add this experience. It's October 2000 and I need a "new" ride pretty bad as my Bronco II was on it's last legs. I spent my entire weekend working on it just to be able to drive it to work. Anyway, I'm on my way home and I notice that JN Chevrolet, out by the Honolulu Airport, has dozens of Tahoes on their lot. So I park my Bronco two blocks away and walk in to the dealership. It's 345pm when I enter. The first salesman is this young whippersnapper that wants to sell me a tricked out small pick up truck. I repeatedly told him I had a family and a pick up isn't going to cut it. But he persisted so I walked out. I was around half a block away when an older salesman ran up to me and started talking. I told him what I needed and he ushered me back. After around an hour of negotiating, and several test drives, he wouldn't budge on the price. He wanted $35K for a 1999 Tahoe. I knew that had plenty and he needed to get rid of them, so I walked. I walked out on this guy three times before we closed the deal. I got a 1999 Tahoe with 39K on the odometer for $20K. By the time I got home, 1130 pm, my old lady was livid! She was so loud she woke several neighbors who came out to see what was going on. She got even louder when she saw me dangling the keys and she saw the truck. She put 3K miles on that truck in a month and a half. Which isn't that much until you realize that we live on a small island where you can drive around the island in about an hour. Unfortunately, now days is a completely different story. Things have changed drastically. And not in the consumers favor. Aloha!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tkashul