2023 Suburban - crack in the front camera -dealer says not covered under warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning!

Hoping for an advice from the collective wisdom of the forum:

I took our 2023 Suburban for a trip to Colorado last week and after I got back , I noticed that the front camera image became blurry and wiping the lens didn't help. Took it to the dealer and was told that there is a crack in the lens and it's not covered under warranty due to "outside influence". This doesn't seem right to me. There is no damage around the camera so I obviously didn't hit anything and it had to have happened due to cold/snow that I drove through in Colorado.

With that said it doesn't seem right that it's not a warranty-covered items. How do I convince the dealer to fix it under warranty?

Thanks!

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they're treating it like a windshield - dealers won't cover cracks that are caused by rock chips because that's not a defect in the "material or workmanship."

Look really closely at the crack - does it look like it originated from a spot? It might have been an extremely small rock - it doesn't take much to cause a chip which then propagates as the outside temperature fluctuates quickly.

Check with another dealer, or check with your car insurance to see if it can be covered under your windshield policy.

If you hit a brick wall and just need to do it yourself, it looks like you can get the camera for ~$145 - https://www.amazon.com/GM-Genuine-84710883-Driver-Information/dp/B09LL2FWH4

15burban

Reaction score
If you have a good relationship with the dealer they maybe would warranty it. Or try a different dealer. For $145 I'd probably just replace it myself.

It sucks but it is what it is. Situations like yours or my favorite the so called "rust" warranty living in a state that uses salt on the roads gives them all the excuses they'll ever need not to file it under warranty and make you pay out of pocket.

Good luck hopefully you'll be able to get gm to warranty it.

kerlyb

Reaction score
I have a camera off a 2023 High Country you can have for $100 if you want.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heads up, there is a "calibration" after the cam is installed (probably has to do w/ the various surround views, guidelines, etc).
I had mine replaced once (hit a small stone right on the lens)...it happens. Feel like it needs some sort of screen protector on it!

OP
OP
E

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice!

I couldn't even see the crack in the camera when I looked myself before taking it to the dealer (they said it was a hairline crack). I guess I can't rule out a small rock 100% but I was so sure that it's just caused by water getting in and freezing, expanding and cracking the lens since I drove a ton in normal weather and it never happened until the snow/ice encounter.

Update on the story: initial dealer's offer to replace was $1,200 or so, that's why I was so unhappy about warranty not covering. After talking to the service department manager I was offered a replacement for ~$400 as a customer appreciation offer (I always go to that dealer for service) so I took it. I opened a case with GM asking them to cover it but don't have my hopes too high.

Next time this happens I'll try to replace it myself since the cameras seems to be available for under $200 online.

BuckChevy25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This happened to me on my Tahoe as well at about 5k miles. Took it up to the Smoky Mountains and I guess I caught a rock on the gravel roads. Service department said they aren't covered under warranty. I didn't notice it was cracked until it rained and the lens became foggy. I let it dry out and it cleared up a bit but not back to as clear as it was new. I put a piece of PPF over the lens to keep the water out until I figure out what to do. Been working out fine and it's been almost a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz