Bad Strut? Metallic Sound When Going Over Bump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J B pdt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like metal is hitting metal when I got over rough roads/bumps on the front driver's side. It really seems like it when the driver side wheel first goes down (think going down from garage to driveway). I got under it over the weekend and everything seems pretty stiff/tight and there is no play in the wheels. Additionally, There was no play anywhere in the sway bar or sway bar mounts.

I replaced the front struts with KYB struts 2.5 years ago. I noticed that the driver side strut has the top of the shock (I assume that's what it is at least) sticking out ~1/2" higher and that the wheel well is around that same 1/2" lower than on the passenger side (measuring from ground to the top of the wheel well). Does this just sound like the strut has gone bad and should be replaced? Could that make a metal clanging sound over bumps?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Driver Side.JPG
    Driver Side.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Driver Ride Height.JPG
    Driver Ride Height.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Passenger Ride Height.JPG
    Passenger Ride Height.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Passenger Side.JPG
    Passenger Side.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 7

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the links for the rear sway bar. If the bolt/nut is loose you will get a metal to metal sound. Ask me how I know. Lol

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe pull the strut out and take a look if it shows any sign of contact? Did you do a search in the forums?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could have a failed bushing in the top of the drivers side strut, but it will be difficult to assess for sure without removing the strut (and perhaps disassembling it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan