Bad bad bad BAD misfire!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
oldsman003

oldsman003

Reaction score
Still attempting to figure this issue out. I keep getting mad at it and then not messing with it for a week. I was advised to possibly replace the engine wire harness to eliminate a possible wire issue. If advised from multiple people what harnesses could be interchangeable? And also I was thinking of pulling my intake and replacing the knock sensors to eliminate them as problems as they are problems anyways. But I am TIRED of throwing money at it but I simply can't afford a $1500 mechanics shop bill.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Still attempting to figure this issue out. I keep getting mad at it and then not messing with it for a week. I was advised to possibly replace the engine wire harness to eliminate a possible wire issue. If advised from multiple people what harnesses could be interchangeable? And also I was thinking of pulling my intake and replacing the knock sensors to eliminate them as problems as they are problems anyways. But I am TIRED of throwing money at it but I simply can't afford a $1500 mechanics shop bill.

It only costs $82 at my shop to diagnose the issue and tell you exactly what is wrong. Even if you decide to take it elsewhere, we still tell you exactly what we found. I'd go this route. It's way too hard to diagnose a problem like this over the net.

OP
OP
oldsman003

oldsman003

Reaction score
Spent 100 for a gm tech with a tech 2. He spent all day and still could not tell me anything different....

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Spent 100 for a gm tech with a tech 2. He spent all day and still could not tell me anything different....

Was it acting up while he had it? In other words, was it missing on one bank while he had it? If it was and I (or any of my guys) was given the Work Order, there is no way that truck was leaving the shop until it was figured out.

Do you have a scan of the work order that says what they did?

OP
OP
oldsman003

oldsman003

Reaction score
Scan tool only showed random misfire at first then progressively got worse to specifically the entire bank 2.
My next question on this issue is where can I find an engine harness for this thing. I have been advised to replace since they are prone to have hidden problems. Aside from the harness and knock sensors they are the only things I have not replaced on this truck. I'm at a loss of words and am through being mad. Just want it forgive out I need the truck back on the road. But cannot seem to find a 2004 harness anywhere

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Was it acting up while he had it? In other words, was it missing on one bank while he had it? If it was and I (or any of my guys) was given the Work Order, there is no way that truck was leaving the shop until it was figured out.

Do you have a scan of the work order that says what they did?

To answer your question yes it was barely running when I brought it in there and when I left after many hours I almost didn't make it back home with it. Running on a random 4 cylinders is one thing but when it's an entire side there is absolutely no power whatsoever and barely made it the 1 mile home.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

To recap I have replaced
Crank sensor
Cam sensor
Vacuum solonoid
Map sensor
Throttle body
O2 sensors
Maf sensor
Coils
Plugs
Wires
Injectors
Had bank 2 side head off all looks good
Cats aren't an issue right now, we're clogged but now cut off until problem is diagnosed

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
I would go with the harness. I had the same problem. I would also do the knock sensors and small harness that goes with it.
The harness of mine wasn't making pin contact and when taking it off I broke two wires very easy.
Any up date on you progress?

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
I would go with the harness. I had the same problem. I would also do the knock sensors and small harness that goes with it.
The harness of mine wasn't making pin contact and when taking it off I broke two wires very easy.
Any up date on you progress?

I have a LQ9 harness if you can't find one. You pay for the shipping and it's yours. It's from a 2002 escalade. I am sure it will work for you.