AVH-X8500BHS on MUTE...please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Y

yrqrm0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How did you mount your HU? Everytime I mount the 8500 to the Metra dash kit, the trim part gets in the way of the motorized face plate and thus stops it from either opening or closing completely. I've tried mounting it flushed and centered but the slight movement of the motor moves the trim and rubs on the faceplate. The opening on the dash kit is not wide enough to allow the head unit to protrude a little with out any dremmel trimming.

Would it better to purcase this Schosche brand?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NWG3RO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
either kit is fine. Is it pushing on the top of the dash kit? Mine was if you don't have it set right.

Fit the radio flush with the 2 screws on each side. the put the radio and dash kit in the dash. don't tighten the crews all the way though. leave it just loose enough that when you put the surround back on, that the kit can move around a little.

What's happening when your tightning up the kit, it's just a hair off so the OEM trim ring is tightning down on the kit and making it not be able to open the faceplate?

Does that make sense?

OP
OP
Y

yrqrm0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes it makes sense. Thanks. I will try that tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mute wire fix

Dude, just went through same nightmare with mute wire. Wtf Metra! Because ur mute wire is always engaged, HU will shut off instead of mute as its suppose to when activating onstar. Changing setting in regards of mute in HU wont do much but disable mute wire(same as if it was disconnected) anyways, you did everything right, its the metra fault for writing ****** instructions. For your mute wire to work correctly, solder 10k OHM resistor between your mute wire and accessory wire (between your brown and red wires). pm me as im in the middle of doing this myself and tired of putting this puzzle together. I am not retrofitting BT headsets as adbox1 does not support factory IR. Should have went with Pac's os-4

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mute wire fix

Dude, just went through same nightmare with mute wire. Wtf Metra! Because ur mute wire is always engaged, HU will shut off instead of mute as its suppose to when activating onstar. Changing setting in regards of mute in HU wont do much but disable mute wire(same as if it was disconnected) anyways, you did everything right, its the metra fault for writing ****** instructions. For your mute wire to work correctly, solder 10k OHM resistor between your mute wire and accessory wire (between your brown and red wires). pm me as im in the middle of doing this myself and tired of putting this puzzle together. I am not retrofitting BT headsets as adbox1 does not support factory IR. Should have went with Pac's os-4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerodmortensen