AVH-X8500BHS on MUTE...please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yrqrm0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, installed the head unit to a standard non Bose 2013 Tahoe. I am using the AX-ADGM01, AX-ADBOX1, ASWC-1 and a bypass module. I read all instructions but still totally confused so I just tried to match up colors as best as I could. Here goes:

1. Connected the 2 vehicle harnesses to corresponding AX-ADGM01 harnesses. 4 stripped wires from one of the harness from the ADGM01 (violet, violet/black, green, green/black) were not connected. The rest of the wires from both harness are connected to either a relay, or to another harness that fit the ADBOX1 and the ASWC-1.

2. ASWC-1 plugged to Pioneer wired remote input.

3. The other end of the ADBOX1 was all stripped wires connected to the HU stripped wires with the same color. Except for the brown wire (mute) in ADBOX connected to yellow/black (mute) of the HU. The green/grey, blue/grey were not connected to anything that matches the HU. The light green wire from ADBOX wasn’t connected to the light green of the HU. I connected the light green from HU to the bypass module instead.

Please tell me what connection I did mess up? Steering wheel control seems to work when I did the initial programming. DVD functions, blue tooth pairing also works. There just isn’t any sound as the MUTE is still displayed on the screen no matter what source is used. Also when ONSTAR is activated, the whole unit powers off instead? Any guidance to this DIY is surely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the mute wire from the OnStar wiring to the head units wiring. Could be that the brain/box is bad

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed mine a few weeks ago and upon initial turn on it too was in mute mode. I had to go into the ATT settings and change those for sound to initially come on. Once I did that all was well and you can change back the ATT settings to whatever you want.

I would recommend finding an updated install manual online for the axxess modules. The one that came with mine was a bit out of date and there were just a couple different hookups to make. (I have oem Bose).

Also my oem bluetooth/onstar turns the pioneer off as well when I get an incoming call. It's a little annoying. But what is cool is that I added a bluetooth vcim and the pioneer retains the oem onstar mic for phone calls. Much better quality than an aftermarket plug in mic. So the only think I haven't figured out is when I receive a call it seems the car bluetooth answers first so the unit turns off but when I make a call it uses the pioneer bluetooth. Not too big of a deal really. Just a few extra seconds for the unit to turn back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Y

yrqrm0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you NathanJax. You mean disconnect brown wire from the ADBOX and head unit?

Thank you jebt2921. What do you mean ATT settings? Is there an ATT setting in the Pioneer or the Chevy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the setting on the pioneer unit.

Home -->system-->scroll down to Mute/ATT. Click it until it goes to -20db or -10db. It seems like it is set to Mute at install which is essentially 0% sound.

After you do this sound should work and you can go back and set the button to Off or whatever else you want. ra6e7u2e.jpg

OP
OP
Y

yrqrm0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. I will update you when I get home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Y

yrqrm0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the setting on the pioneer unit.

Home -->system-->scroll down to Mute/ATT. Click it until it goes to -20db or -10db. It seems like it is set to Mute at install which is essentially 0% sound.

It did work as soon as I changed the settings on ATT setting to -10db. But after performing different functions, it went back to mute mode on the display screen and I cannot unmute it anywhere though the ATT setting remained -10db. I did found out the command that was setting the HU back to MUTE mode was the hands-free button on the steering wheel.

I followed NathanJax's to disconnect MUTE wire entirely and it never went back to MUTE. Even when using the steering wheel command for hands-free, the ATT would be displayed and accentuate the sound appropriately.

Another note I want to mention is the rear speakers (violets and greens) from the ADBOX1 connected to the PIONEER did not work. Since I had the same colored stripped wires from the ADGM01 not connected to anything, I disconnected the ADBOX1 and replaced it with the ADGM01. Don’t know why the ADGM01 had only the rear colors stripped and not the fronts but oh well, it works now…

Now, only if I can make the AppRadio work. I read an Amazon reviewer having the same experience I had (it would work, then grainy/snowy, blank) and he attributed it to a wrong MHL adapter. I have a Samsung Note 3 and according to Pioneer site, my phone is not listed as compatible yet so I don’t want to keep buying different adapters yet.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I've got the mute connected and when I get an incoming call it turns the unit completely off. Every other function just mutes it and keeps the unit on. Does that happen when you receive and incoming call?

OP
OP
Y

yrqrm0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I still have the Tahoe just sitting in garage until I mount the radio in. I am still thinking of splicing from the rear view mirror connection to get the video signal and connect to the HU but I have no experience running wires on the headline and thru the A-pillar.

I haven't received any calls while playing with it but it did turn the whole unit off when I activated the voice command hands free operation from the steering. Since I cut the mute wire, I havent repeated that function yet.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I followed NathanJax's to disconnect MUTE wire entirely and it never went back to MUTE. Even when using the steering wheel command for hands-free, the ATT would be displayed and accentuate the sound appropriately.

That function went bad on my wiring harness as well, that's why I knew what it was.

Another note I want to mention is the rear speakers (violets and greens) from the ADBOX1 connected to the PIONEER did not work. Since I had the same colored stripped wires from the ADGM01 not connected to anything, I disconnected the ADBOX1 and replaced it with the ADGM01. Don’t know why the ADGM01 had only the rear colors stripped and not the fronts but oh well, it works now…

The first wires you hooked it to weren't speaker wires. I think they have to do with navigation or something, but I noticed that when installing mine too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Instigator01

Latest posts