Auto Air Ride Compressor Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this compressor is getting louder and louder as time goes on...anyone have this issue as well?? its not just a background noise anymore like it used to be, anyone that is in the car when it airs up asks what the hell is that...

Mine was like that from the day I bought it--its just wearing out. I had a leaky shock which caused mine to run alot and who knows if the previous owner even knew about it. I changed out my shocks and compressor from Arnott and could barely hear it kick in. Mine lasted a year and a half and croaked prematurely. Had a faultly exhaust valve as well. Arnott stepped up and gave me a discount on a replacement. But even before it died....it was still quiet.

OP
OP
Smokymance

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
HMM interesting..

Mine pumps fine, but its definitely loud loud...ill post video of it...friends tbss is like 4 times quieter...

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
HMM interesting..

Mine pumps fine, but its definitely loud loud...ill post video of it...friends tbss is like 4 times quieter...

I also replaced mine because it was too embarrasssing when you get strange looks from people wondering what the hell is that noise? And you can hear yours over that blower......must be loud lol

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH YEAH I CAN HEAR IT...CHECK THIS VIDEO OUT THAT I JUST THIS MORNING...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysfd1G6FRmQ

Yep she is pretty loud. Did you stick you head under there and see if the 3 rubber isolator with the screws are torn/ripped? Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the compressor vibrating on the frame mount. You might have to remove the rubber cover to see if they are...

Changing it is easy and it comes with new rubber isolators as well. Mine sounded exactly like yours-it was nice when it would kick in at the drive thru and the workers would have this WTF look on their face(s).....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smokymance

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
J,

I had to take off this compressor to repair a worn out wire like i posted on my old thread...it was a service bulletin that mentioned to replace the comp since the wire corrodes...well i just repaired it...lol

Air Comp Repair

When i took it off, it was sorta hard, but i took off those three hex screws as you mentioned...the bushings were shot so i replaced them with some soft 40 durometer tube that i had here at work (i work with isolators, bushings etc for NVH at work so that was kinda easy)...now its snug against the bracket that holds it on the frame again...i do believe i did make it a little too stiff against the bracket since i do feel the vibrations get transferred thru the body a bit more...but at least the whole compressor doesnt have 1/4in play on it when going over bumps...

Noise hasnt gotten any better or worse tho....so ill have to replace it or something...still works tho...just loud

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I read your repair and looked into that when my I had my last 'SERVICE RIDE CONTROL' adventure. That must be nice to have those things at your disposal ;) It just sounds like it is showing its age and needs to be replaced down the road. In my job...as our power supplies age they get louder and louder as well until we replace them. As long as it doesn't bother you-put it on the future to-do list...

:Handshake:

OP
OP
Smokymance

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
Well its been another year and compressor still same loud, but running strong! i think i should look into a new one soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts