Audio Upgrade Unhappy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWhiteDevil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a question for you. I made the amplifier bypass harness and I think it sounds worse, I would like to know whats going on and where the weakest link is.

So I have been running the stock headunit since I purchased the truck. It had the stock speakers half blown. and a non existent subwoofer (ZERO FOAM LEFT)
It has a stock alt. No big 3 upgrade (yet - I do this to most every vehicle of mine to some degree, sound system or not) Optima Red Top Battery.

First off I replaced the speakers first about 2 months ago with Pioneer Ts-Al676R speakers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iuvNQrElC1F/p_130TSA1685/Pioneer-TS-A1685R.html

g130TSA1685-F.jpeg

World of a difference and it sounded great, However I knew about the harness and I knew the back sub was trashed still. So it was replaced a few weeks later with a 8" Shallow Pioneer Ts-sw2002D2

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSS2002/Pioneer-TS-SW2002D2.html?tp=111&awcp=1t1&awcr=105374241923&awdv=c&awkw=+pioneer++ts++sw2002d2&awmt=b&awnw=g

g130TSS2002-F.jpg

Boom, again a large improvement in sound. I was actually impressed by the quality of sound but not the volume I wanted a bit more bass than I was getting. For those interested I did have to trim almost 1/4 inch off the mounting bracket of the sub to fit into the stock location. I know it's not going to be like my other truck and I know it's only an 8" sub but I was running the factory amp and headunit still. I was intending to solder in a 3.5mm aux into the stock head unit but after tonight I'm waiting...

So tonight I threw in the amp bypass harness.

The bass is great but only at really low volumes, otherwise I have 2 issues, 1 the dash lights pulse with the bass and 2 at any slightly higher volume the clarity goes to shit. The mids/lows seem to over power the higher ranges now and it actually sounds worse!

I am trying to keep it as stock looking at possible as all rear space and 2nd row underseat store is PACKED.

What am I missing? should I keep off the harness but run a separate amplifier with a knob to the rear bass? am I locked into an aftermarket headunit to get the sound I want?

Last edited:

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay first off yer running aftermarket speakers and sub off that stock amp wich is not enough to power that sub and speakers
to answer yer question id say yes you are locked into an aftermarket headunit and if your conserving space id get a small 5 channel to power the speakers and sub and you ll prolly be satisfied as long as you dont go to crazy on the 5 channel amp you should be fine with just a big 3 upgrade and that redtop and stick with the stock alternator

OP
OP
TheWhiteDevil

TheWhiteDevil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess Im not trying so hard for stock looking as I am Clean, I dont feel like an normal single din has the look I want. I wanted it to perform well but look factory? Ahhh the picky life.

Last edited:

scoobyxj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always get an amp with speaker level input, or use a line converter to adapt the OEM head unit.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Pioneer sub specs with dual 2-ohm voice coils. So how did you wire that, with both voice coils in parallel , both in series, or just using one voice coil? In parallel, you'll be at 1 ohm; in series, you'll be at 4 ohms, and with just one you'll only be using half the speaker. That speaker is designed to be used when you don't have a single sub input, as in if you're using a line output converter on a 2-channel amp. You might need 2 ohms. Is yours a Bose system? You need to replace speakers with the same impedance as the ones you removed. If your old sub was 2 ohms, you need to replace it with 2 ohm single voice coil sub.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess Im not trying so hard for stock looking as I am Clean, I dont feel like an normal single din has the look I want. I wanted it to perform well but look factory? Ahhh the picky life.
yeah i agree thats why i went with the din 1/2 vs thee single din cuz its fills the gap the only downside is your a little more limited on selection on din and 1/2 as opposed to single din decks

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I converted to a double din. It's not hard, just need a radio cage and dash bezel from an 03. That opens up all the possibilities and still looks stock.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Sounds like you're locked into an aftermarket deck. There are some out there that have a close resemble nice to a factory looking deck.
Also check into kicker shallow mount 8". I've had all the shallow mount subs including the pioneer and kicker was way cleaner and louder for only a few bucks more

OP
OP
TheWhiteDevil

TheWhiteDevil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Non bose set up. I am looking into swapping a bose center console into her though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohccammer427