Audio Upgrade Unhappy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm betting he has the sub wired to 1 ohm and that's what's making it distort with anything over a low volume. Also will make the dash lights flicker cause the amp is working way harder than it is supposed to.

OP
OP
TheWhiteDevil

TheWhiteDevil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@YukonXL04 I have the Pioneer sub running off the stock amplifier, its a DVC and I am running only one set at 2ohm.

The distortion is coming only from certain tracks with havy mids and its the dooor speakers distorting. I will have to move to an aftermarket headunit it looks like.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the front front door speakers, you could try just wiring in a couple resistors that take out the bass. I forget what they are called exactly but I used to use them with all my systems.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems odd though. You should be able to run two fronts and two rears off the head unit at a reasonable level, and the sub off the amp without any problems.

Double check wiring. Also how many channels is the amp?

OP
OP
TheWhiteDevil

TheWhiteDevil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Factory amp with a bypass mod to bypass the filters on the speakers. I think you may be right where I could rewire the bypass to only work for the rears but It only seems to really matter with a few CDs that are heavy bass/mids. I have no issues with B.I.G albums, Pantera, Johnny Cash or even Buddy Guy, but I throw in a TechN9ne album and the front mids/highs are distorted by the bass/lows.

kaiwren986

Reaction score
I would just run a new amp for your speakers, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777M1500/Sound-Ordnance-M-1500.html?tp=115 I have used these, and they work great.

I bought a cheap amp to drive 2 12" kickers https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S4XKYC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You don't need to spend a ton of money on your amps. They will drive your speakers relatively cleanly. Spend the cash on a good head unit and call it a day. Or even run it all off your factory head unit, there WILL be an improvement in sound. For less than $220.

Its time consuming running new wiring, but don't let it scare you, your patience will be rewarded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ynamot