Are all the gasoline engine issues just on the 6.2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
More horsepower and torque from the same design and architecture. The 5.3s last longer because they put out less power.

Take a marine diesel engine for an example. At 1800 rpm for a 100% duty cycle it may last 12,000 hours but at 2400 rpms for a 100% duty cycle it might last 8000 hours.

I'm sure you can think of something aboard those boats you served aboard that were rated similarly from radars to pumps, scrubbers, etc.

I get what you're saying, but I think your logic is slightly flawed.

Yes, the 6.2 is capable of producing more horsepower, but during the normal daily driving part throttle usage, it's only making enough to move the vehicle, which is the exact same amount the 5.3 would be making.

Sure if prolonged/ repeated full throttle acceleration was happening or in heavy towing use type scenario I could see the extra HP its capable of making being a hinderance to longevity, but getting the groceries from the store and taking the kids to school, and only very , very , very seldomly actually using more than say 150 hp, not so much.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More horsepower and torque from the same design and architecture.
5.3Ls last longer because they put out less power.

Take a marine diesel engine for an example. At 1800 rpm for a 100% duty cycle it may last 12,000 hours but at 2400 rpms for a 100% duty cycle it might last 8000 hours.

I'm sure you can think of something aboard those boats you served aboard that were rated similarly from radars to pumps, scrubbers, etc.
This may be true, but it's NOTHING to do with failures as a result from faulty assembly line parts.

The failing L87s should have lasted at least 100x as long before failure.

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
This forum - and other forums - may be even less aware of how many 5.3L failures there are in the field.
That said, if the failures were sufficiently common, it would sooner or later become an irrepressible news item.

Meanwhile, YOU ought to do a used oil analysis.

I'm actually already in the process of getting a used oil analysis done. I got the kit from Blackstone Labs sent to me, and I've pulled the sample and mailed it off. Now just waiting on the USPS to deliver the sample to Blackstone (apparently it takes the USPS awhile to get something from TX to IN).

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
This forum - and other forums - may be even less aware of how many 5.3L failures there are in the field.
I think this may be part of the answer: demographic biases.

I think there is a higher percentage of owners on here vs. “the average Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban owner” who:
1) Internationally purchased the 6.2L for the power;
2) Do their own work, and thus look up and share more hints & woes; and
3) Push their ride harder than the stereotypical soccer parent dropping off half the team at the field; etc.

This means that our higher percentage of 6.2s are probably being pushed harder, noticing issues earlier, dealing with them more quickly, and wanting to know WHY they failed as much as they want them fixed.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If, every time any powertrain part failed before the powertrain warranty expired,
the people who've no clue how to physically build the part(s) that failed,
yet signed off on those parts / assembly techniques,
starred in a yew2b video of them getting a swift kick in the arse,
there wouldn't be so many threads about 6.2L engine failures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9

Latest posts