2009 Yukon Denali 6.2 L9H Engine Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Chocolate milkshake of death. LOL

Had that happen on three short block reman Ford I-6 200 cid motors in a row in the 90’s. Pulled out one, build up other short block, swap back in, 3 flipping times on my ‘66 Mustang.

I feel your pain

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! What a roller coaster ride! I just read through your whole thread! Sounded like you had got the truck pretty dialed in with a lot of high mileage maintenance being hammered out with the engine work and it would have been solid for quite a while. She’s a pretty looking truck for sure! Hopefully the shop that did all the work figures out what’s wrong and fixes it up for you! Hate to see these things broken down! I’m a Denali Xl guy myself and I use my 2006 for all the same reasons you do except I live in the mountains. Rarely have my sisters kids in it these days now that they’re in Tennessee and not California, but when they do ride in it they absolutely love the room and big comfy seats. Currently on a mammoth lakes/Utah road trip for snowboarding. I’d be pretty damn bummed if mine were doing what yours is. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon! Hopefully we see you a round a lot after the fixes so we can help you learn things about the truck cuz we love sharing knowledge and helping others fix them! I’ve learned so much from these guys here and it’s why I’ve kept my Denali for so long cuz I know I can work on it, and if there’s something I don’t know how to fix I can figure it out from the collective base of knowledge here.

I was originally looking for a Gmt800 but really loved the look and interiors of the Gmt900s. I thought if I could have a Gmt900 without AFM that would be my sweet spot, and when this truck is running good it’s really hard to imagine wanting to drive anything else. The 6.2 w/o AFM + 6l80 is peak GM truck performance IMO. Unfortunately now I’m debating how much I trust the Jasper product that was installed 7 months ago.

Just looking forward to getting her back on the road.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was originally looking for a Gmt800 but really loved the look and interiors of the Gmt900s. I thought if I could have a Gmt900 without AFM that would be my sweet spot, and when this truck is running good it’s really hard to imagine wanting to drive anything else. The 6.2 w/o AFM + 6l80 is peak GM truck performance IMO. Unfortunately now I’m debating how much I trust the Jasper product that was installed 7 months ago.

Just looking forward to getting her back on the road.
Yeah….. I love my 800….. my seats are so dang comfy on long drives. lol.

The 6.2 is a beast of a motor! I wish my 6.0 was mated to a 6L80 instead of the garbage 4L65 I have lol. But hopefully it’ll get sorted out and you can keep enjoying that 6.2!

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just heard back from the shop. They confirmed with a borescope that cylinder 3 and 7 are dead, and both pistons damaged. Jasper has approved the warranty claim and I’ll have a new engine installed by the end of next week.

Jasper will disassemble the engine themselves and let me and the shop know what actually happened. I will owe $0 for the entire replacement which is a plus. Hoping we have better luck with this next long block.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You owe a grand total of … nuthing, nada, nunca. While we’re doing the entire job for free again would you be interested in upgrading to ARP exhaust studs, an upgraded billet torque converter or polished / aluminum valve covers?

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You owe a grand total of … nuthing, nada, nunca. While we’re doing the entire job for free again would you be interested in upgrading to ARP exhaust studs, an upgraded billet torque converter or polished / aluminum valve covers?

Luckily it already has new valve covers and an upgraded GM torque converter was installed during the last engine replacement :rofl: I’m still recovering from that work that was done last summer so I’m going to politely decline any additional upgrades at this time :roflbow:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Underbody detail and protective coating for a low discount price?:roflsquared:

Seriously though, I’m really stoked you positioned yourself so well in having all the work done. It’s mechanical, crap happens and installing the new motor by the same shop will be a breeze with all the bolts are already broken loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts