Are all the gasoline engine issues just on the 6.2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antonm

Reaction score
Looking around this forum its seems that all the gasoline engine issues being talked about (spun rod bearings, rough idle, main bearing failures, oil consumption, etc) all seem to be referring to the 6.2 specifically.

While it's too late for me as I've already purchased a high country tahoe with the 6.2, but is the 6.2 somehow more issue prone than the base 5.3? Those two engines are pretty similar in design/ architecture, what makes the 6.2 have all these issues that the 5.3 either doesn't have or no one is talking about?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it's too late for me as I've already purchased a high country tahoe with the 6.2L,
but is the 6.2L somehow more issue prone than the base 5.3L?
Those two engines are pretty similar in design / architecture.
What makes the 6.2L have all these issues that the 5.3L either doesn't have or no one is talking about?
Looks like a factory assembly parts source cheap-out.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.3 and 6.2 were collapsing DFM lifters in the '21 and '22 MYs. I haven't heard of a '23 or '24 5.3 with collapsed lifters so it seems they've buttoned up that issue.

Main and rod bearing failures appear to be exclusive to the 6.2 and are happening more frequently in the last 6 months.

All anecdotal evidence from being a member on this forum for ~2 years...

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
Yeah, I paid stupid money for the high trim level tahoe with a worse engine than the base offering,,,great.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most car owners - even those who appreciate that having more power than required can also be very relaxing -
do not also participate in this or other more enthusiastically oriented forums.

My guess:
the vast majority of 6.2L failures are uaware of how un-alone they really are in their unnecessary suffering -
that they suffer as part of a rapidly growing demographic: preposterously premature L87 failures.

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
Still, assuming the root cause is GM cheaped out on the bearings, or the bearing supplier screwed them over , did they just cheap out on those in the 6.2 and not the 5.3 (they sell many units more of the 5.3, seems like that would be where they'd try to save money at)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
Just remember not many people come on forums and check in daily or weekly and say their "insert vehicle here" is problem free. Most come on with problems and looking for advice.

Good luck with your new ride and post some pictures when ya can!

Its looks just like every other stock white Tahoe, everyone's seen one of those, no real need to post a picture of it.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most car owners - even those who appreciate that having more power than required can also be very relaxing -
do not also participate in this or other more enthusiastically oriented forums.

My guess:
the vast majority of 6.2L failures are unaware of how un-alone they really are in their unnecessary suffering -
that they suffer as part of a rapidly growing demographic: preposterously premature L87 failures.
Still, assuming the root cause is GM cheaped out on the bearings, or the bearing supplier screwed them over,
did they just cheap out on those in the 6.2L and not the 5.3L?
GM sell many units more of the 5.3L, seems like that would be where they'd try to save money at?
This forum - and other forums - may be even less aware of how many 5.3L failures there are in the field.
That said, if the failures were sufficiently common, it would sooner or later become an irrepressible news item.

Meanwhile, YOU ought to do a used oil analysis.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking around this forum its seems that all the gasoline engine issues being talked about (spun rod bearings, rough idle, main bearing failures, oil consumption, etc) all seem to be referring to the 6.2 specifically.

While it's too late for me as I've already purchased a high country tahoe with the 6.2, but is the 6.2 somehow more issue prone than the base 5.3? Those two engines are pretty similar in design/ architecture, what makes the 6.2 have all these issues that the 5.3 either doesn't have or no one is talking about?

More horsepower and torque from the same design and architecture. The 5.3s last longer because they put out less power.

Take a marine diesel engine for an example. At 1800 rpm for a 100% duty cycle it may last 12,000 hours but at 2400 rpms for a 100% duty cycle it might last 8000 hours.

I'm sure you can think of something aboard those boats you served aboard that were rated similarly from radars to pumps, scrubbers, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev