Apple Carplay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I've been looking for a double din radio for my gf's car. I see Apple Carplay advertised alot. Can someone explain to me exactly what it is and why everyone likes it so much? Could you also get this with dvd/mp3? She also has an Android phone, so no IPhone for her. TIA.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apple CarPlay came with my 2021 Yukon Denali. It connects your iPhone (only 1 phone at a time) to the vehicle dash screen and gives you access to a few apps - navigation, music, call info, .... Here's what my phone looks like on the vehicle display. So far we've used it for Google navigations (as apposed to GMC Nav app) and I've experimented making phone calls from my iPhone call list - the phone call voice is hands-free 'car wide' like OnStar. You can see the music icon.
1695158055211.png

For android there's an "Android Auto" app that I presume does something similar.
1695158110256.png

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I've been looking for a double din radio for my gf's car. I see Apple Carplay advertised alot. Can someone explain to me exactly what it is and why everyone likes it so much? Could you also get this with dvd/mp3? She also has an Android phone, so no IPhone for her. TIA.
I’ve always ran kenwood double dins
You got to pay more for the additional features like map’s internet series xm…
The car play is like when you get in your phone automatically connects and your messages and phone calls will appear on your radio so it’s “hands free” same goes for the music and what not pandora etc.
My old kenwood don’t have it but even on the new one in my Silverado I hardly ever use the “car play” I just connect to the Bluetooth and use my phone for everything instead of the radio but a lot of people like the “hands free” stuff now a days.
Both can read dvds and also they got adapters out to hook to your rear entertainment so when you watch a dvd up front it’ll play in the rear also.
There’s a certain “parking wire” you can cut to allow it to play movies while your driving if that’s what you want… lol overall my kenwoods have been excellent I’ve had friends with JVC and PIONEERS that were both good as well but I personally diddnt like them as much as the kenwood also the kenwood you could fine tune your speakers to more detail then what they were able to on their radios.IMG_1241.jpegthe only pic I got of my radio I’ll get a model # when I get home if you want it. You can upload photos off your phone or usb along with playing a old school ipod I keep one in my glove box hooked up all the time

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info @Trey Hardy. So it really isn't all that fantastic then.
To some yes to me no I’m more old school though I guess I like my old kenwood I got in 2012 better then the 2020 model in the Silverado if you ain’t all about the “hands free” shit I wouldn’t stress it.
However most double dins come with the car play now a days I just found it more aggravating then anything but to each his own

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
@Tonyrodz this is about the same model in my Silverado if it helps any
Kenwood DMX7706S 6.95" Digital Media Receiver w/Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto https://a.co/d/8wCJzX2
Thx. I've been looking on Amazon for different double din. So many options and features it's making my head spin. Every dd I've had I've bought them used, so whatever options they had--they had. I'm not looking to go all out, but I do want to get something decent that can play dvds. So I'm just browsing for something decent. I've heard all the dds out there use basically the same internal boards--all the same guts.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As the others have said, it basically mirrors the phone so you have a much larger screen to work with and don't have to hold the phone. Also supports talk-to-text. Most, and I mean by a vast majority, aftermarket HUs require the phone to be plugged in to the USB. The high-end units connect wirelessly, and I think it's by WiFi and not Bluetooth. This feature is reserved for the expensive units for obvious reasons. I want a wireless CarPlay HU for the WiFi streaming because Bluetooth is compressed. I can hear the difference when streaming using BT versus plugged into the USB. USB sounds better but the cable is always too short. Even if I had a 20' cable, it just means I'd have 19' snagged somewhere and less than 1' to work with.

I recall a few months ago of someone posting about a Boss HU they put in their NBS and were really happy with it. One or two others had the same one and were happy with it as well.

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
As the others have said, it basically mirrors the phone so you have a much larger screen to work with and don't have to hold the phone. Also supports talk-to-text. Most, and I mean by a vast majority, aftermarket HUs require the phone to be plugged in to the USB. The high-end units connect wirelessly, and I think it's by WiFi and not Bluetooth. This feature is reserved for the expensive units for obvious reasons. I want a wireless CarPlay HU for the WiFi streaming because Bluetooth is compressed. I can hear the difference when streaming using BT versus plugged into the USB. USB sounds better but the cable is always too short. Even if I had a 20' cable, it just means I'd have 19' snagged somewhere and less than 1' to work with.

I recall a few months ago of someone posting about a Boss HU they put in their NBS and were really happy with it. One or two others had the same one and were happy with it as well.
I never used boss before but I had a Fahrenheit slide out double din back in the day in my 93 that worked pretty good and was only 150-175$ vs 300$ for a name brand one.
@Tonyrodz like I said the kenwoods I got are pretty basic you can get add ons to hook up if wanted for more features but I just use the basic stuff. The EQ has factory settings or you could tune it yourself along with other features to fine tune your speakers that come in handy if your a audiophile at all.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

I had an older Boss unit before in my work van. Never gave me an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts