Anyone replaced their unused spare tire due to age?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on facts about how rubber ages due to exposure to light, roads, weather, and elements - tires stop being roadworthy after 5 years.
After five years, stop calling it a tire - wall cushion, swing, target practice, exercise equipment ... stop calling it a tire.

For those of you that like to push it, there's considerable data regarding collisions in which old tires that should have been replaced were found to be proximately responsible for the collision.
Ever heard of Paul Welker?

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2004 Cadillac SRX spare tire is the original. Almost 20yrs. All I do (every couple of years) is look at it for visible cracks or 'something' and poke it to make sure it's still at pressure. :)

Not sure if Jiffy Lube folks do any checks....

Last edited:

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m more concerned about the rusty rim that my 16 year old tire is mounted on…….

But yes to answer your question. I do think it would be beneficial to replace them

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never once have I replaced a spare due to age. I do a visual inspection and make sure the PSI is good. I have however GOTTEN a free, brand new, spare in my yard off an older 88-98 k1500 where the cable rusted and dropped it while driving.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer at Discount tire will no longer rotate or repair any tires over 8 years old regardless of condition. I had Michelin LTX's on my 04 HD RAM that got replaced strictly due to age and they probably still had half the tread left.
I would suspect a spare that doesn't see sun "could" go longer, but ozone is the biggest factor in tire age breakdown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n