Replacing Fuel Pump in a 2004 Tahoe- Step by Step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey David Paul, It looks similar but this one does not seem to work with GM trucks? I could not find the exact SST. Of course, i forgot to ask if the local parts place had a loaner tool (also check local GM truck clubs). However, the lubricant on the lock ring will most likely make this job a piece of cake. I would also add some anti-seize to the metal pieces that hold the lockring in place. They were pretty rusted and not sure if you can replace those without replacing entire tank.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F5LJ7...TF8&colid=26LK4IN5NEJR0&coliid=I3131OGKMFL7RA

Good morning Red. I don't have an answer to why you can not edit, but I'd this the SST you were thinking of?

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe in the description that it says that it works on Ford, Chrysler, and GM vehicles. I'd prefer the GM tool if I could find it. I know I don't "need" it, but since I'm saving a boat load of $$ doing it myself, I like to make the job as easy as possible.
Great points on the anti-seze and dielectric grease.
Thanks all for this information.

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did this today, why not there's a heat advisory for NJ today and the next couple of days.
Red was right on with his suggestions. Get the covers he suggested for the filler tubs. I didn't and the tape I put on got gooey just like he said it would. Took some time to clean them up. Get the SST, again like he suggested. And again I did not. That alone probably would have saved about a half hour.
I knew about pulling the fuel pump relay to relieve the line pressure so I didn't spill much at all. All in all not a terrible job but not one I want to do again.
Follow Red's tips and it will save you some time......

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. I did my pump in 100 degree weather here in So Cal a couple of weekends ago. Not fun, but easy enough. I've replaced a couple times before, but it had been about 5 years since the last one. Jack and I (floorjack that is) manhandled a half full tank. In retrospect, I should have emptied, but the heat cooked my goose and wasn't thinking straight. I did manage to take a couple of pictures of connections and such. I'd be glad to send them on down to see if they'd be useful.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone take any pictures? I would love to add pictures to this thread. If so, shoot me a PM. Tks.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why i can not edit my first post?

Glad everyone is finding this helpful. I was hoping to make additional changes to clarify and add more tips.

NovaRacer

Reaction score
Does anyone know why i can not edit my first post?

Glad everyone is finding this helpful. I was hoping to make additional changes to clarify and add more tips.
I tried to add pictures but could not link my photobucket account with this forum. That was 2 weekends ago, will try later on this week.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. but i would really be careful with Amazon, since they are not the best at listing if it will work with your vehicle. I ordered the lock ring from them, and it was the wrong one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia