Any major issues with 2015+ Tahoe models’

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevedonato

Reaction score
I’m considering purchasing either a 2014 or 2015 Tahoe. I realize there was a model refresh in 2015, so I’m wondering based on people‘s current knowledge if there were any major issues or problems with the 2014 (and before) or 2015 (and after) models which would make it worth skipping out on either. If not, what are the most predominant issues with the either model that I should be aware of before considering a purchase?
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

I found a fantastic sight that documents complaints of Every model and Manufacture of every year car ever made all over the world, and of course GM is also there. https://www.carcomplaints.com/ But you have to take into account that even if a thousand complaints are reported the manufacture may have built 1 million vehicles of that model. I find it a good ball park for vehicle complaints to question. The web site has every year complaints were logged so when you look back as 90's then 80's then 70's most complaints disappear in those simpler days of NON electronics.

BAZ Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Own a 15 Escalade. Love the shit out it. Bought it used with 15k miles. Not a single issue yet except had one of the door handle lights came unplugged. No vibrations. No buffeting noise. If I had to say something negative about it id say the slight noise it makes on the highway when in V4 mode and you accelerate slightly is kind of annoying. But definitely nothing to change my mind over. Plus you can buy that delete piece to shut it off. Wish I had the 8 speed trans because after owning an 07 Yukon Denali i know all the little quirks that come in time

LA Rodz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
April 2015 Tahoe here, 33,500 miles. one issue, AC went out last week and was replaced in hours. No MRC problems but the automatic tailgate drives me nuts when it wacks me while loading groceries. Showed the SA the info found on this site regarding reprogramming the sensitivity, and yes the dealer ignored what I described and showed them, but replaced a tailgate shock stating that was why it was falling down....it wasn't falling down, it was closing. We'll try again before the warranty is out

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
April 2015 Tahoe here, 33,500 miles. one issue, AC went out last week and was replaced in hours. No MRC problems but the automatic tailgate drives me nuts when it wacks me while loading groceries. Showed the SA the info found on this site regarding reprogramming the sensitivity, and yes the dealer ignored what I described and showed them, but replaced a tailgate shock stating that was why it was falling down....it wasn't falling down, it was closing. We'll try again before the warranty is out

AC going out at only 35k miles is not normal and shouldn’t be happening in this day and age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Herkdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own a 2015 Tahoe LTZ, purchased new in Sep 2015. In short, I love this truck. The only other 'big' SUV I can compare it to is the 2003 Sequoia I bought new. I'd much rather drive the Tahoe. Here's why:

- Comfort: the most comfortable seats I've experience in a long road trip; heated/cooled seats are a nice feature
- Power: over 300 horses, coupled w/the 6 speed trans; I like the manual and trailer towing feature; see below for more on this
- Economy: gets 22-24 mpg on the highway; when I'm driving, I can consistently get 19 mpg around town; the wife gets 16-18 around town

Regarding the transmission, I don't like how it's always seeking a higher gear, and thus better fuel economy. In manual mode, it's a sweet drivetrain with excellent tractability. You shift it when you want, at the right rpm. This shift programming is common to all newer cars. My 2011 Pilot did it. My 2007 RDX did it. My 2014 Subaru Crosstrek doesn't do it because it has a CVT. Another feature that I don't like around town is the cylinder deactivation. Thankfully, in manual or trailer towing mode the cylinder deactivation is, um...deactivated! But in normal auto driving it kicks in at a low rpm as soon as the trans shifts into the highest gear possible. Harley riders would liken this to "lugging" the engine. It's annoying and I don't like it, but it contributes to better mpg. On the highway, it's fine. Cylinder deactivation is great at 70 mph, not 40. The low-speed cylinder deactivation and auto trans seeking the highest gear possible leads to an annoying "shudder" or "vibration".

I think this is the common "shudder" that others have referred to. It's the only shudder or vibration I've experienced.

The only wind noise I've experience was caused by the rear window trim pieces separating from the door. I fixed that easily with Gorilla heavy duty double sided tape. Wind noise is less than my 2004 Sierra Denali and less than my 2011 Honda Pilot Touring.

In closing, I'll add that this is the best road-trip machine I've owned. It's perfect for my family of 5 (love the 2nd row captain's chairs), get's great mileage for a very large SUV, has ample power (esp. when I can control it in manual mode), is stylish, and the electronic features represent the latest and greatest auto tech. GM has really turned the corner w/this SUV. I'd buy another, but hopefully I won't have to. Mine was expensive, and I intend to keep it until the proverbial wheels fall off.

Thanks to all for your perspectives on this SUV. I learn a lot every time I log in. Good luck w/your SUV search!

JD

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Own a 15 Escalade. Wish I had the 8 speed trans because after owning an 07 Yukon Denali i know all the little quirks that come in time

Unless I am reading this wrong, doesn't your 15 Escalade have the 8 speed tranny as standard equipment?

techbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC going out at only 35k miles is not normal and shouldn’t be happening in this day and age.

My Tahoe is a GMT900, however the AC failed at 40,000 miles. The repair was a $1500 dollar job that involved replacing the evaporator. I'm not sure the evaporator was installed correctly because we get some moisture under the passenger carpet when the AC is running. I wonder if the AC fails commonly on these trucks?

Chad- do you prefer the 6 speed over the 8?

MiamiDubai

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll chime in here.
I have 2015 Yukon SLT with 69,000 miles on it.
Never left me stranded.
Only issue I had was the blower motor was replaced because it was making noise (when I changed the cabin filter a leaf dropped in the assembly). It was covered under my certified pre-owned warranty.

My side trim does flap in the wind and every so often I have to push them back in place.
No mechanical issues at all. No buffeting, no shake nothing.

I have 26's with 295/30/26 tires and the ride is smooth as ever (note I'm located in Miami and the roads are pretty smooth down here)

A/C works perfectly fine (knock on wood)

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in here.
I have 2015 Yukon SLT with 69,000 miles on it.
Never left me stranded.
Only issue I had was the blower motor was replaced because it was making noise (when I changed the cabin filter a leaf dropped in the assembly). It was covered under my certified pre-owned warranty.

My side trim does flap in the wind and every so often I have to push them back in place.
No mechanical issues at all. No buffeting, no shake nothing.

I have 26's with 295/30/26 tires and the ride is smooth as ever (note I'm located in Miami and the roads are pretty smooth down here)

A/C works perfectly fine (knock on wood)

26’s? I’ve got to see a picture of that! I’m sure I looks fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz