Another oil leak thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here’s one I haven’t heard about before... 2006 Yukon XL Denali, LQ4 6.0. 140k currently in the odometer.
1. so in the end of March the Nali went into the shop, and the did oil pan gasket, oil cooler flex plate gasket, and did the valve cover gaskets topside. Apparently after only a year of new valve cover gaskets, the passenger side valve cover was leaking bad.
2. fast forward to June and it’s still leaking and finally has time to go in. Shop says valley pan gasket... I’m like huh funny I told you guys to check that out the last time and you said it was fine... replaced the intake manifold and valley pan gaskets.
3. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago... it’s still leaking :banghead: ok time to drop the trans and do the rear main seal.... fine let’s get it done. They dick around and not start on it right away, keep it overnight. I’m pissed off but whatever just get it done and put back together. Next morning guess what it’s still leaking motor oil!!!! I’m fuming!
So I show up to the shop on Thursday for washes, only I tell them I’m not washing any of their vehicles until my truck is no longer leaking oil. They put it up on the rack, and apparently the oil pan gasket is leaking again... I’m like wait we just did that In the end of March! So they said they’d fix it under warranty. Thankful for that. They’re also servicing my transmission and replacing the oil pressure sensor/sending unit, since they’re already in there. I figure the pressure sensor is a cheap part and may as well do it now.

sorry for the long post here’s my question: they said oil leaking from the camshaft position sensor gasket, anyone heard of that before? I’ve never heard of it. And secondly they said the plate on the rear main seal isn’t right and leaking...
anyone see an oil pan gasket fail and the plate on the rear main seal not hold up so closely together?! I can’t imagine both have gone bad so shortly.... but what do I know? Lol

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you need a new shop:

An oil pan gasket shouldn't leak so soon.
The rear cover should have been done with the rear main seal.

If they were using quality gaskets (ACDelco or Felpro etc), the above failures are most likely installation errors. For both of these to fail so soon indicates they don't know how to do the jobs. I just did both of those jobs earlier this year, first time doing it, and I'm still drip free.

However, yes, the CPS could be leaking.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you need a new shop:

An oil pan gasket shouldn't leak so soon.
The rear cover should have been done with the rear main seal.

If they were using quality gaskets (ACDelco or Felpro etc), the above failures are most likely installation errors. For both of these to fail so soon indicates they don't know how to do the jobs. I just did both of those jobs earlier this year, first time doing it, and I'm still drip free.

However, yes, the CPS could be leaking.
Yeah I know I need a new shop. But they’re long time clients of my detailing business, so I can’t just dump the relationship. Lol.
Anyways yeah they supposedly did the plate on the rear main seal. It came as a kit. Supposedly from his “good Chevy parts guy” so I’m upset. But I agree that it sounds like an installation error on they’re part. I’m just mad that I’ve spent 2 grand so far trying to shore up this leak and they can’t bother to Do it right, on jobs that are mostly profit for the shop cuz it’s mostly labor charges! Ugh. Thanks for the input!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would have done an oil dye test a long time ago on that rig/engine. As has also been said, I would also find another shop and insist on either the AC Delco gaskets or my own personal go to gasket sets, Fel-Pro. I know others will have other favs but I have used Fel-Pro for literally decades with no problems.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had oil pan gasket replaced last year, part of changing out the oil pickup tube o-ring. Initially did fine then gradually started leaking from the front of the oil pan. The alignment looked good and all, but it turned out the 19-year-old oil pan cracked near the front corner upon reinstallation.
Camshaft position sensor is close by the oil pressure sending unit. I've read that can leak as well.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had oil pan gasket replaced last year, part of changing out the oil pickup tube o-ring. Initially did fine then gradually started leaking from the front of the oil pan. The alignment looked good and all, but it turned out the 19-year-old oil pan cracked near the front corner upon reinstallation.
Camshaft position sensor is close by the oil pressure sending unit. I've read that can leak as well.

How the heck did your pan crack? It's pretty heavy duty aluminum. Did some one overtorque the bolts once?

I know I still have a leak from the front cover, but it's a slow leak that don't drip. I will just need to wipe things off ever oil change or so.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are having issues with oil leaks getting fixed correctly by them, I would be dreadful of letting them open the trans up.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This is why people think mechanics are shady as hell. You should never give them your business again.

For instance: Members here know I was in the auto repair field close to 40 years and ran shops for 30 of that. The owner's son was in yesterday with his 2017 Colorado. He has a swishing/light squeal rotational noise till he hits 25 mph. Been to the dealer 3 times to repair that problem. They hung new pads and machined rotors, did not fix it. The very first visit they told him the rotor dust shield was rubbing, did not fix problem. The dealer then said that it likely needs a new hub/bearing assembly.

The son then remembered my background. It was doing the noise yesterday all the time instead of intermittently. The noise was there a couple times when dropped for work at the dealer. I never heard the noise up front but did hear just behind the drivers seat in the middle of the truck underneath and was equally loud from either side of the truck. The noise is in his drive line. I got under it and grabbed the shaft and pushed pulled and could hear a squeak noise from that. It is at the dealer right now getting a new drive line. The dealer verified the problem yesterday. The rig only has 33k miles on it.

So basically the techs there were not spending quality time diagnosing the problem. That SUCKS A BIG ONE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65