Android with SiriusXM tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tst1212

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a Android based radio that support a Sirius tuner? Not the app, the actual satellite based one.

I want Waze and other Android functions, not the Pioneer/Kenwood interface.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for the same for a couple years. I look/search again about every 6 months, but so far I haven't come across anything. It unfortunately just doesn't seem to exist. Apparently more people just stream. Everything you find when looking for anything Android and Sirius/XM related just references the app....not an actual receiver that an Android based head unit can accept the input from and interface with/control.

The best solution I've found is using an Android head unit that will accept a cellular dongle, then getting a cheap data plan and allowing the head unit to have it's own dedicated SIM/connection. More expensive than Sirius/XM, but you'd also have a bit more flexibility. I.e Youtube, Spotify, Pandora, etc, etc.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never use Android Auto on my Pioneer. The Pioneer interface is a little slow at times but most importantly, that USB connection charges hella slow.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm, I use android auto on my nex 8200 with my pixel xl and everything works just fine, if I wanted to I could easily connect a roku or a chromecast or any other android box to the hdmi and connect it to a mobile hotspot but i mostly just listen to music from my ipod or Sirius and use waze, movies I just put on a sd card and put it in the deck and everything is good to go. the rest of the android function is useless crap anyway I'm not going to sit and play candycrush on my car deck.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea is to not have to use a connected phone for any of the apps or native Android features. To have a true Android head unit, not the Pioneer or Kenwood iterations, that can also interface with a traditional Sirius/XM receiver for audio.

To my knowledge, nobody makes anything to accomplish this. You can only access Sirius/XM content on an Android head unit using the Android app and data, as opposed to a receiver.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, I use android auto on my nex 8200 with my pixel xl and everything works just fine, if I wanted to I could easily connect a roku or a chromecast or any other android box to the hdmi and connect it to a mobile hotspot but i mostly just listen to music from my ipod or Sirius and use waze, movies I just put on a sd card and put it in the deck and everything is good to go. the rest of the android function is useless crap anyway I'm not going to sit and play candycrush on my car deck.

The charging aspect was the biggest turn off. How do you see your phone charging? As quick as direct charger? Any ways to improve power?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The charging aspect was the biggest turn off. How do you see your phone charging? As quick as direct charger? Any ways to improve power?
Phone charges like normal, when it's on android auto the screen is off anyway so it's not drawing any extra juice or anything, I kind of like that it charges and does what it needs to do at the same time

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idea is to not have to use a connected phone for any of the apps or native Android features. To have a true Android head unit, not the Pioneer or Kenwood iterations, that can also interface with a traditional Sirius/XM receiver for audio.

To my knowledge, nobody makes anything to accomplish this. You can only access Sirius/XM content on an Android head unit using the Android app and data, as opposed to a receiver.
the work around for that is just have a spare phone attached and then either on a data plan or connected to a hot spot, kenwood has wireless android auto now, pioneer didn't present anything at CES but they will be releasing wireless android auto as well soon, alpine didn't go wireless yet but they did make a bigger screen

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Work around, yes, as desirable, no.

Some people don't have unlimited data plans, or want one. Sometimes you might be in an area with low or no data service. That's where satellite radio shines. Virtually always a signal, and if you barter with Sirius/XM you can get it for as low as about $5/mo.

So for someone who is an existing Sirius/XM user, moving to an Android head unit then necessitating having to now use an app, obtain a dedicated data plan for the head unit or use a paired phone, and pay extra to Sirius/XM for the Android app streaming access, it just isn't a good solution.

It's a shame that someone out there doesn't make a generic/native Android head unit that can interface with a standard Sirius/XM hardware receiver (like the SXV300V1).

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you convert the cable to usb or rca's on that receiver? most of the android units come with plenty of inputs via rca or usb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spargewort

Latest posts