Android Auto Phone Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon SLE with the latest (3/16) Android Auto update. I have been thru a few different phones recently and thought I would pass along my findings.

1. What works: Samsung S5, S6 & S7. Once you download Android Auto to the phone...integration is seamless. Start the vehicle, tether the phone to ANY of the 5: USB ports and you immediately get the Android Auto Icon on the Main Menu screen. The GPS sensitivity of these phones is "superlative" to say the least and navigation is fast and "spot on".

2. What doesn't work: LG G4, G5 & G6. These are good phones...but not user friendly or compatible with the Android Auto/GM interface. "Sometimes" they will work but the "Gymnastics" required to make them work isn't worth the effort. These phones require that after tethering the USB to the phone, you must go into the settings and force the phone to "USB Tether" to the car. You have to do this each and every time you use it...too much screwing around in my opinion. Once the connection is made...it's not unusual to experience screen freezes and dropouts with no warning. Once I drove 5 miles past an Interstate exit and realized that my GPS signal on the phone had been lost requiring me to re-boot and go thru a re connection exercise.

I suspect that other brands and models of Android OS phones may work...just sharing my experience of what does and doesn't work.

911jason

Reaction score
My Google Nexus 6p works great. It did initially require me to change out of charging only mode, but since my phone is rooted, I just installed an Xposed module that makes it connect in media transfer mode every time. I also installed a module that removes the 6 touch limit and the speed limit for interacting.

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i dont like with S6 Edge is that soon i start my Denali bluetooth connect it and start playing music by it self

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's gotta be a GM thing. My iPhone does the same thing.

+1. I got sick of it happening and found a thread where someone mentioned turning off Siri and ever since I did that it has stopped. Not a great fix by any means but I rarely ever use Siri so it's not much of a loss for me.

Brian S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone here have issues connecting their Galaxy Note 7 with Android Auto? I just picked up my Note 7 and Android Auto can't seem to connect. Any tips to get it connected would be appreciated. .

Denali132

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone here have issues connecting their Galaxy Note 7 with Android Auto? I just picked up my Note 7 and Android Auto can't seem to connect. Any tips to get it connected would be appreciated. .
I just bought a 2016 Suburban and Android Auto won't work with my S7 Edge! Took it in today and the sales guy put his S7. Edge in and his didn't work either. Service department said they need to do a software upgrade to my vehicle that could take anywhere from 1-3 hours to update. They gave me a loaner and still were working on it late in the evening so I'll have to pick it up tomorrow when they're done and I'll give you the update!

AMWWORKS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My HTC 10 has been flawless on my 16 Yukon. The GPS is very accurate and the transitions between AA apps are very snappy. If android auto connectivity is important to you. I would recommend choosing the most stockish android phone. HTC, Motorola, Nexus, and Pixel are good options. LG and Samsung phones are hit or miss because they use heavily modified versions of android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84