Amp only works sometimes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STEELHORSE

Reaction score
I have a 1250 watt boss amp that I've ran for a year yet it was used 2 years before me. It's been a great amp but last week it cut off I hooked up 2 more amps one didn't work the other kept overheating or blew fuses religiously. I hooked the boss back up it started working for a little while then quit and just started back again. It was pushing a Memphis 12 I blew it with one of the other amps now it's just pushing a single 10. I had lights hooked up took it all of but the 10 so I wouldn't draw extra power. My question Is why does it only work sometimes? My ground and power checked out great and I know the remote and RCA are. Anyone have an idea?

GeneralNoobzor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Is the amp continuously in a good mode to be playing music? or does it go into protect?
2. Have you taken a ohm reader to your RCA inputs on your amp to verify they aren't open?
3. Is there any corrosion on your power wire by the battery?
4. Are any wires getting pinched by any interior pieces being run anywhere?
5. Are your speakers ran in a correct configuration?

Lights wouldn't be drawing too much extra power, those weren't your issue.
Sounds to me like a pinched wire, improper wire configuration for your subs, or bad RCA input or speaker output.

OP
OP
STEELHORSE

STEELHORSE

Reaction score
1. I had it go into protect once last week. Before it just wouldn't even show power.
2. I haven't I've tested ground and power both showed great.
3. None that I see.
4. I will check as soon as better weather comes (20 and rainy constantly)
5. They are, my setup has been the same for a year with no problems until now. I will try running the amp hard longer to see if it goes into protect it usually doesn't and only has maybe twice with a 12 and once with that one 10. It wasn't even ran when it did that one time with the 10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxandpj