Alternator problem????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Purpledoggy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Please bear with me as I'm a woman trying to figure out manly stuff lol! While driving my 03 yukon denali to work I noticed the voltmeter drop from 14 to 12 while on the freeway with the heater, heated seat and radio on. The drop was enough that it felt like I was loosing power but the interior dash lights did not dim. My dad had the truck last night and I noticed when he brought it back the lights would brighten whenever the rpms went up in the engine. When I was heading home from work I decided to see if the problem would persist so I turned on the radio, heater and heated seats and while I was sitting in traffic the voltage again dropped this time to the point the truck started to stall while at idle. When I turned off everything it seemed to be stable and gave me no other problems for the ride home. I'm afraid to drive it now because I'm not sure what is wrong. My dad also said it stalled on him when he put it in reverse but I did not have this problem. The battery is new because the old battery that was in it died after sitting for a few days so I figured it was bad anyway. I'm starting to think now it might be the alternator instead. Has anyone had a similar problem? All I can think of is an alternator issue but I'm not used to these vehicles. My dad is busy trying to get his plow on his truck so I'm trying to figure out what could be the problem so I can hopefully troubleshoot it and get it fixed. Any help????

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the jump connection. Theres a positive lead with a nut and bolt where your supposed to put the positive cable to jump start someone. That nut backs off and then your alternator only charges part of the time.

Get a cheap volt meter and see what your battery is reading with the car on.

Pull the battery off and the alternator and have them both load tested.

In no particular order :)

OP
OP
P

Purpledoggy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where can I get a voltmeter from? I'm guessing any auto part store?

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I get a voltmeter from? I'm guessing any auto part store?

Or harbor freight, walmart k mart etc etc. They are usually 10-20 bucks and worth their weight in gold.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

But first check that lead jump off point. Id also start the truck and let it run for a few and then disconnect the battery and see if it dies.

OP
OP
P

Purpledoggy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't think about harbor freight. I will try to hit them up tomorrow! Is there anything else you think I should/can test?

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But first check that lead jump off point. Id also start the truck and let it run for a few and then disconnect the battery and see if it dies.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check connections on the battery and the alternator and ground. Look for corosion. As mentioned above-use a VOM to check voltages with the truck off and on. Should see 12.5-13 DC with it off and over 14 volts DC with it running.

Most auto parts stores or a auto repair should can do a load test on your battery as well as check your alternator to make sure it is operating correctly.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your alternator is failing under load. Have it bench load tested to verify.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
X2. Alternator starting to go. Make sure when do the work that you also check all connections at the battery for cleanliness and tight. Make sure the belts are in good shape also. A slipping belt can cause same problem but is more rare than a failing alternator.

OP
OP
P

Purpledoggy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. Hopefully I can get under the hood and check it today if I get off of work on time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada