Alternator installation tip.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It seems you always have to battle the thing to get it back in the mount. Pushing the spacers back a bit opens the clearance.
Yep, good call. I have always removed all the attaching bolts and then grabbed the top of the alternator and pushed/pulled it and the rocking motion seems to move that spacer just enough to allow for the easier removal and install. If the spacer did not move, then a pry bar to remove and pliers to squeeze the spacer to where you want it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to buy a new hammer. My Estwing dead blow shattered last time I used it.
I have a variety of sledge hammers to rubber mallet, the handiest one is a 3 lb harbor freight special lol
if it takes more force than what a dead blow will do and I don't want to crack or mar the surface too much then I use a piece of wood to absorb the impact.

OP
OP
Foot0069

Foot0069

Reaction score
I have a variety of sledge hammers to rubber mallet, the handiest one is a 3 lb harbor freight special lol
if it takes more force than what a dead blow will do and I don't want to crack or mar the surface too much then I use a piece of wood to absorb the impact.
That 3lb maul is one of my favorite . That Estwing gives a licking and keeps on ticking.

OP
OP
Foot0069

Foot0069

Reaction score
Yep, good call. I have always removed all the attaching bolts and then grabbed the top of the alternator and pushed/pulled it and the rocking motion seems to move that spacer just enough to allow for the easier removal and install. If the spacer did not move, then a pry bar to remove and pliers to squeeze the spacer to where you want it.
Me too. After I pried the alternator off I stood there looking at and had a brain fart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove