Almost got rid of my 2005 Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found with mechanics that as soon as they think they have your trust they try to screw you. I was going to a guy for a couple years and then he tried to rip me off so I went to another shop and got it done for half price. Then a year later after going to them 2-3 times they tried to rip me off too. Now I just try to do it all myself as much as possible.
LOL ... I got nothing. :)

OP
OP
hulk161

hulk161

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Work is warrantied. I thought at first they were doing it on the low but the secretary wrote out the warranty right then. I told them right off the back only ac delco, no after market said " no problem papa" lol.

Showed me all old switches and boxes. No problem at all. Truck is riding normal no sputter. Were good.

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you buy the coils, I'd suggest you pull the plastic engine cover off the driver side and take a picture of one of the coils so you can match it up with a new one. According to www.rockauto.com there's a couple different ones. Look for a part number on the coil and also refer to the picture for identification. It would be nice if you could find out which one(s) are bad but you can change all of them. Looks like worst case is $45 each.
OH??? Thanks for the heads up!

The camera thing is a good heads up also ... I "ought" to do that myself ...but I'm like well I did not use a camera in 1976 and I'm not gonna use one now.

Over a few weeks no big deal but sometimes it's a few months and it's like uh oh ... well I'll figure it out again ... eventually. o_O

Badwrench

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you can get all 8 Coils changed out for even $400, I agree with Red Rocket - Do It !
And consider changing valve cover gaskets while your in their. It is straight forward.
I did gaskets this weekend, no more leaks at 150K. Like you - Going strong

OP
OP
hulk161

hulk161

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got them done saturday for 550 7. Sheisty old man did 1 for 330 to get engine light off.

Talk to guy that sent me to him. He said he has the same problem and old man quoted him 800 for 8 coils, plugs and wires.

Told him no offense but I wont be going back and just keep their relationship the same by not saying anything.

Sat it the horse today with engine running normal with ac cold as winter.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a second opinion. The factory ignition coils in these trucks are very good and very rarely fail. I highly doubt you need all of them replaced. Sounds like a shotgun repair. Will it fix it? Probably. But did you need to spend that much? Probably not.

OP
OP
hulk161

hulk161

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will admit to the old guy trying to **** me but his diagnostic was on point. The truck is 11 years old with 159,000 so didn't mind changing the coils for 550.

The awakening is coming to you guys like I use to and asking questions is the testament that this site is a go to for information on these trucks.

I tell everybody I meet with a Denali or tahoe bout the site

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
I tell as many people as I can. Even try to get my buddies to buy these trucks. I have one buddy buy a taho and another just bought a Denali XL for $1500. I wish I knew about that deal ! Fully loaded and rear heated seats!

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man 12 years you say and 150,000 something miles?? Uh Oh ... something else to add to my list!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts