Alignment - Front or 4 Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UpAndDown

Reaction score
I have a new to me 08 Tahoe LT 4wd. I have an alignment question. Is the rear of these trucks adjustable? I need an alignment but I’m not sure if it’s actually possible to adjust anything in the rear or if it’s the front only. All replies appreciated. Take care

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No adjustment at the rear but is always best to have heads on all 4 wheels when doing front end alignment to allow the alignment of the front to reference the rear thrust angle.

OP
OP
U

UpAndDown

Reaction score
No adjustment at the rear but is always best to have heads on all 4 wheels when doing front end alignment to allow the alignment of the front to reference the rear thrust angle.
Thanks for the reply. That’s what the guy at the tire shop said as well. They want to charge for a 4 wheel alignment for doing it that way even though there’s no rear adjustment. Is this customary?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, because as I said, it is best to do a 4 wheel alignment to be able to do a thrust alignment. That is just in case the rear axle is off just a little and without doing a thrust alignment, the steering wheel would be crooked going down the road because of the push of the rear axle that is not completely straight.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Definitely a 4 wheel thrust alignment, insist on it and make sure you see alignment heads on each wheel. The front wheels need to be set off the rear wheels and center line of the vehicle. Most shops understand this. If they only try to sell you a "set the toe and let it go" alignment, find another shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet