Aftermarket Radio Installation - 2015 Tahoe LS with IO3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was pretty bummed when I figured out I couldn't use the OEM USB port. One of my goals during this whole process was to keep the truck as factory as possible.

Thankfully, I didn't have to drill any holes. There's a large pass through, or channel, that runs from the center console into the storage compartment. It just so happens to run directly up to the a plastic plate in my storage compartment. I have the LS, so my truck didn't have anything there. I'm assuming that in the LT or the LTZ models, you guys have something there - like another set of USB ports or something?

IMG_2444a.JPG

I'm not sure if you've purchased the radio yet, but if you haven't, go online and have a look at the instructions manuals before purchasing. (And have a look at good ole YouTube.) I purchased the Apple HDMI adapter with the intention of being able to stream videos to the head unit. Honestly, I have no idea why, but I thought since I was there, I might as well add this feature. As it turns out, the Pioneer AVH-4100 NEX allows for either mirroring or Apple CarPlay... sadly, it cannot do both - you have to choose one or the other during installation. If I had decided to run the HDMI for mirroring, I would have needed to connect the USB, from the HDMI adapter, directly to USB 1 (only) on the head unit. Just food for thought.

I hope this information helps.

hahler2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's been very helpful John! Actually seeing this thread is what got me started down this path. Before I saw it I didn't even think it was possible to replace the stereos in these vehicles.

Yes you are correct. On my LT there are more USB inputs located inside the center console. Good to know about the pass through.

I'm looking at the Pioneer 8100NEX. I'll read up on the manual but i believe you can do both mirroring and CarPlay. It's just an option you have to change in the radio. The iPhone mirroring is not something that would be done very often but it's nice to have all the connections made and have all options available while the interior is torn apart.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of my new back-up camera that I installed.

I installed the COOLINT CT-X102BL back-up camera into the rear hatch right next to the factory cam. I was hoping to remove the factory camera from the plastic cover, but as it turns out, the camera and panel are all one piece.

IMG_2520.JPG

The camera provides excellent quality. (I'm using the reference lines from the head unit, not from the camera.)
IMG_2518.JPG

hahler2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And actually the way I'm going to do it will work without changing any options. Because I'm not connecting the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the radio. I'm going to be converting it to composite and sending it to the video 1 input. The reason for doing it this way is because I want to be able to output the video to the rear screen. You can't do that with the HDMI but you can with the video inputs.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really glad to hear this thread is useful. :)

Ahhh... the 8100NEX is an AWESOME radio - great choice!!

hahler2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I was going to go with the 4100 like you got but that didn't meet the wife approval. She wanted one with the built in navigation and not have to rely on the phone. Hey who am I to argue with her when she's encouraging me to spend more on gadgets!

Got most everything on order tonight. Once I get all the components I'll be sure to check back in here on my how the install went and my thoughts on the Scosche adapter.

hahler2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
John any update on install guide? Just kind of curious how the dash and everything comes apart on these. I've got a pretty good idea but it's always nice to hear from someone who's done it already.

Just received my radio today. Hopefully some time this week I'll be able to tear into the Suburban and get it installed.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey hahler! No, sorry, I've been traveling for the past couple of weeks, and with the crazy holidays, I just haven't had a chance to work on it. I hope to do so soon, but I'm not sure I'll have it done in time for your install - it sounds like you're ready to go.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post or drop me a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork