Aftermarket Radio Installation - 2015 Tahoe LS with IO3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

undertaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most likely the integration is possible, whatever unit came with my alpine x009 for the suburban reused the factory backup camera with no isseus (well I thought there were issues but they were on the truck end at 8 years old not the interface)

the interface was an idatalink maestro, was included in the box......hell everything was in the box, that was the first aftermarket head unit where it was one box shopping, and I loved it. I really hope they expand to the new trucks in the future, definetely much easier than the old days. And your headaches have clearly shown a need.

Khurshid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds good. I am not sure about the Bluetooth option because I do not have an OEM hands free system in my truck. Did your truck come equipped with Bluetooth?

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Undertaker - Those Alpine kits are AWESOME! I really like how they put everything into one kit for you - nothing else to buy. I also like how they maximize the screen size - I think you can go up to 9" on the older Tahoes - very nice! It's just unfortunate that they haven't made one for the 2015/2016... yet.

Khurshid - Yes, my Tahoe did come factory with Bluetooth (phone calls only). You have to start the phone call from your phone using - it would then Bluetooth sound through the speakers, but it wouldn't transfer your phone book data. (You do have the option of storing phone numbers directly to the vehicle, but who wants to manually transfer their phone book data? It also won't play music over Bluetooth - you have to connect the device to the vehicle via. USB. Complete failure on GM's part when buying a $40k+ vehicle.

What model do you have, Khurshid?

Khurshid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe LS that did not come equipped with Bluetooth. Chances are I will not have Bluetooth or hands-free capability even after I install an aftermarket receiver like Pioneer. I will probably need an additional component to enable the bluetooth function. You're right about it being a failure on GM's part. Even the cheapest cars in the market have Bluetooth and hands-free calling as a standard option. I really do not understand GM's logic behind deleting the Bluetooth option from the base Tahoes. What's even more frustrating is our inability to upgrade to something that's more functional and aesthetically appealing. It's almost like Apple with all it's restrictions and compatibility issues. At lease, Apple products look good and are technologically advanced unlike the 4.2 inch I03 radio.

undertaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Undertaker - Those Alpine kits are AWESOME! I really like how they put everything into one kit for you - nothing else to buy. I also like how they maximize the screen size - I think you can go up to 9" on the older Tahoes - very nice! It's just unfortunate that they haven't made one for the 2015/2016... yet.

its in the works for the 14+ pickups as of Nov (I'd be thinking of a Jan 16 release at CES and street release mid late spring personally), my my guess is the SUV dash will follow shortly after.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Khurshid - I had no idea that the LS base model came without the Bluetooth option - this is crazy! I assumed what I had was bottom of the barrel, as bad as it was. You aren't missing much!

This all being said, after installing my new Head unit, I'm no longer using any of the OEM Bluetooth. (With the exception of Bluetooth OnStar, the GMOSLAN09 does not do anything for Bluetooth.) Both phone calls and music streaming are now going through the Pioneer. I ran a mic up the driver side A column and hid it near the overhead console - it works great. If you upgrade, you'll have full Blutooth capabilities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completed the Scosche GM5214SB dash kit install yesterday evening. I am much happier with this look over the Metra dash kit with the blank pocket.

The Scosche kit is very nice! It's made of heavier duty plastic than the Metra - and the clips that hold the top dash trim are metal rather than plastic like on the Metra. When removing the top dash trim last night to upgrade to the Scosche, I broke all three of the plastic clips from the Metra kit - very low quality!

After

IMG_2510.JPG

Before
IMG_2486.JPG

Khurshid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
John,
Thanks for sharing the pictures. That's a clean install and it looks awesome. I guess all the hard work paid off. Now only if you can get the back-up cam to work. Nevertheless, the dash looks really nice. As a matter of fact, I think it looks nicer than the factory 8 inch radio.

I contacted the GM dealership and they quoted $3700 to upgrade to the OEM 8 inch I06 radio with the pop-up screen. Ridiculous!

By the way, I checked the Crutchfield website but they don't have the Pioneer 4100NEX so I will probably have to go with the 7100NEX.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Khurshid - Thank you... and you're very welcome - glad I could help. If you decide to upgrade your system, I'll be happy to help where I can. I'm working on putting together a complete install guide, with pictures, for those looking to upgrade to an aftermarket - I should be done soon.

As for back-up camera, I did a little messing around yesterday when I had everything apart. I plugged the original head unit back in and the camera was working fine. I once again tried running and RCA plug from the positive/negative leads from the camera wiring harness, and nothing. At this point, I'm just going to install an aftermarket flush mount into the drunk lid and call it a day. From what I can, it should be fairly straight forward install and it looks like it's going to be a piece of cake to run the wire up to the dash.

WOW... $3700?!?! That is ridiculous! One might be better off trading in and buying a new '16 model for that kind of price! Ouch!

As for the Pioneer 4100NEX, I was just on Crutchfields website so I could print out the $75 mail-in rebate form. According to their site, they have them in-stock. Check out this link - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1304100NEX/Pioneer-AVH-4100NEX.html?tp=20217 Although, the built-in navigation with the 7100NEX is really nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts