Adding AC Condensor Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I picked up an AC condensor fan a while back, and am going to install it here soon. I wanted to get input on the wiring for it. Attached is an image of how I think it should be installed, but wanted some verification, as I'm not an EE (I'm an ME :)). Basically, I was planning on controlling it with the two wires that control the compressor clutch by splicing a relay in line. Would you guys aggree with this approach? Or suggest something else?

Thank you,

matt

Fan%20Schematic.png

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you having a specific issue or just trying to make AC work better? IMO I wouldn't want the relay triggered by AC compressor because it cycles quite frequently and an electric motor may not like that constant starting and shutting off. You may be better off activating it by the main AC on switch so it will just run the whole time the AC is on even while compressor is cycling on off and so forth

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just trying to get the ac to blow a little colder at idle and low speeds. At freeway speeds it spits out icecubes, but not so much when sitting at idle.

That is a good call to run it from the main switch. I will have to pull up the main harness diagram and see where I can tap in to have it just be on when the ac is switched on.

Evan,

I see you are also in PHX. I am down in Chandler. Trying to get this done before the heat really gets here :)

Y2KpewterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Condenser fan? Any pics of it, or where you got it from?

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it from amazon. I will get the part number and some pics later today. Going to try and get it installed today. The wife has been driving the Tahoe because it has rear ac that comes down from the ceiling to keep our 1 year old cool.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the condensor fan mounted up today, but didn't get the wiring done. Basically, I found that every wire I was going to tap into for the relay to the fan, was already hot. My interpretation of the schematic in the haynes manual was that when I pushed the button in the dash, it ran the signal through the low pressure switch. But now matter what I did, I always had +12V their. So I need to figure out where I can tap in for the relay.

What I may end up doing is going with a time delay relay that won't trigger the fan on until it has signal for a minute or so, and then also so that it won't turn off until it loses signal for about a minute or so. This would eliminate the issue of the compressor cycling and turning it o/off.

Anyways,

Here is the photo of the pan part number plate. I picked it up off Amazon. I dn't remember what I paid for it.

IMG_20140518_142955_9282.jpg

IMG_20140518_142944_875.jpg

And here it is mounted up. The truck came stock with an oil cooler on the passengerside, which, is where this would normally be mounted. So I mounted it on the other side. I just used some self-tapping sheet metal screws. Held in place snug and looks like it was meant to be there :)

In order to get the bottom two fasteners in I had to remove the entire bumper. Which wasn't too bad, 8 bolts and it came right off.

I'll post back up once I get it running and triggered properly.

Thanks,

matt

IMG_20140518_155245_614.jpg

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just trying to get the ac to blow a little colder at idle and low speeds. At freeway speeds it spits out icecubes, but not so much when sitting at idle.

That is a good call to run it from the main switch. I will have to pull up the main harness diagram and see where I can tap in to have it just be on when the ac is switched on.

Evan,

I see you are also in PHX. I am down in Chandler. Trying to get this done before the heat really gets here :)

Isn't that the truth... I'm in the AC biz so it's about to be my crazy time for the next few months. Had to get all my odds and ends done recently like tint and maintenance. Rear AC for the kiddos is crucial out here. Worst case scenario hook your trigger wire up to a toggle somewhere discreet. Hook it to ignition hot and even if it gets left on without the AC being on it will push more air through the radiator too. Not that your AC won't ever be off for the next 5 months lol

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about the toggle switch too, but would rather have it wired so I don't have to remember to turn it on. This is where I was thinking of the time delay relay. Basically if it had a delay of say 1 minute to turn on after the compressor clutch is cycled on. And then 1 minute to turn off after the compressor cycles off. But, it would have to also remain on if the clutch cycles back on prior to timing out.

The wife is driving the Tahoe, as it has the rear ac vents in the ceiling. This is crucial for our 1yr old daughter. Although once I get the 02 Escalade cleaned up some she may take that one. But chances are I would do the same thing and put a condensor fan on their as well. But I think that can be controled by the 0411 PCM instead.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think I have it figured out. The wires that goes to the ECM C3 Connector Pin 25 is the AC request. This should be the signal coming when you push the button on the dash. I will investigate in the next day or so and report back the outcome. Hopefully that is it, then I should be able to get the wiring done soon :)

Thanks,

matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10