Acid for Chrome Rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when I bought my new rims the guy that sold me them was telling me about this acid he bought one time to clean up some rims he had. He said it is AWESOME stuff and makes chrome wheels look literally brand new. He couldn't remember the name for the life of him but he said it is a little hard to get ahold of, and that they mostly have it in collision/repair shops.

Anyone know what he could be talking about? I'd love to get my hands on some and really make these things shine.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used some one time years ago when i had my wire wheels, i can't think of the name of it though. i'll try to remember. it was a spray on hose off cleaner. worked great. i'll try to remember too. i'm sure there's several brands though. i'll see if i can remember.

OP
OP
Brandon X

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So nobody knows what this guy could be talking about?

Guess il just have to check my local auto parts stores and see what's the best chrome cleaner I can find.

718frankb

LOCAL 282 TEAMSTERS
Reaction score
from my expeirence if you cant get them to shine with a ammonia based cleaner ( windex ) etc then it will never shine no matter what you try .

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
I use a industrial toilet bowl cleaner for all my rims. all the brake dust on the inside of the rims, comes right off. its some crazy shit, but i dont know the name of it off hand.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude, if i'm not mistaken i think the name was extreme or xtreme or some variation of the spelling thereof. i tried searching for it on google, haven't found it yet, nor do i even know if they still make it or not. but it was an acid based spray on cleaner, you sprayed it on and hosed it off. worked wonders. the bottle i had i think was a hand me down from someone, i don't know if i ever purchased any myself. hope that helps. i'm sure there's probably a ton of them out there, but i think that was the one i used.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is pretty acidic, I use it every wash...wheels look brand new. Get it anywhere.

Meguiars-Hot-Rims-Chrome-Wheel-Cleaner.jpg

B

nastety92

Reaction score
Try checking with your local car detailing shop. A friend of mine who owns a detailing shop uses a acid based cleaning product on wheels and it works great.

He buys it in bulk, 50-55 gallon drums. Some places might sell you some.

I've always used a windex type of cleaner to clean chrome.

Good luck,
Nick

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
or Westleys white wall tire cleaner works really good, i use that a shit ton too, you can get it anywhere and tis cheap

OP
OP
Brandon X

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is pretty acidic, I use it every wash...wheels look brand new. Get it anywhere.

Meguiars-Hot-Rims-Chrome-Wheel-Cleaner.jpg

B

Just bought a bottle of this along with some Black Magic Tire Wet and both bottles are almost half gone. Cost me around $12 for both and so it looks like I won't be buying this stuff too often especially since I only get 2 or 3 uses outta it.

The Megs Hot Rims is some pretty decent stuff though. Cleaned them up really well but I think I gotta take the rims off and really get into em to get all the grim and brake dust off the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz