AC shuts down when engine bay temps increase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a corollary to what JoeOmerta said, check the condenser itself. Make sure it's clean. I had a recent issue with AC not working when idling. Only blows cold when moving, so it boiled down to airflow. My condenser was filthy (don't recall EVER cleaning it) so used air compressor to clean it out, and ALOT of crap got pushed out. Now, even at 110 degrees at idle, it blows cold. This will not likely "cure" your issue (since you imply your compressor actually not kicking on), but it may help. Good luck.

grayhoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any luck with this. mine is doing the same thing.....sucks..

as long as i am moving it works and its cold! but as soon as i get in traffic or redlight to redlight it shuts off again (the ac light that is, not sure if the compressor is off or not).

ilmk123

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing. Pressure washed out the condensor and put new clutch fan on and it is ice cold now.....Scott

bennfun

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As a corollary to what JoeOmerta said, check the condenser itself. Make sure it's clean. I had a recent issue with AC not working when idling. Only blows cold when moving, so it boiled down to airflow. My condenser was filthy (don't recall EVER cleaning it) so used air compressor to clean it out, and ALOT of crap got pushed out. Now, even at 110 degrees at idle, it blows cold. This will not likely "cure" your issue (since you imply your compressor actually not kicking on), but it may help. Good luck.

afpj: Reading your post regarding a/c problem at idle. My Tahoe has been doing this for 8 yrs (140k). After 5 dealer visits and couple mechanics, nobody has ever really fixed this problem or even diagnosed it. Your analysis is on target since it appears to be a heat issue driven by airflow. Need some advice on cleaning condenser. Do I blow from inside out or outside in? Noticed that radiator fins are pretty nasty too. Suggestions for cleaning both? Side note - since this problem started at 15k, I may have a bad condenser. I'll try cleaning first and if not resolved I'll try replacing it.
bennfun

zeeshan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dear,

I have seen your post regarding the AC issue which was turning off the AC when its idle, actually i am also suffering with the same issue. so i want to know if you were able to fixed yours. if so than what was the problem?

your kind reply will be apprecited. you can contat me on [email protected]

hope to hear soon from you.

Brender

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A/C Discharge Refrigerant Line

Does anyone know the best place to buy the A/C Discharge Refrigerant Line with Rear A/C? Mine bent while replacing the valve that was leaking and know has a small hole where the bend occurred. Or do you think JB Weld would work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manofaltes