AC problem 2006 yukon denali

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by toneil, May 30, 2018.

1. toneil

toneil TYF Newbie

Name:
    travis
    Ok, so I have looked at alot of posts and cannot figure this out.
    The compressor at first would not run. after looking around i found a power wire at the compressor broken. This must of been the issue right? Wrong. After fixing the wire I checked the system and it was in the operating range but the compressor would not kick on.
    I added more freon and at 50 lbs the compressor started to cycle on and off (on 3 sec, off 20ish). must be the low side cycle switch right? wrong. I changed this and still nothing, just cycling.
    I jumpered the low side switch and it runs but doesn't blow cold air.
    when gauged it shows 22 lbs while the compressor is running.
    There are 2 ports on the low side, one with a ball check valve and another with a stem valve. they are both in the same line about 8" a part with a compression fitting in between them.
    can it be that when I added freon, it added too much air and not enough freon? I'm kind of lost on this one.
    also if I jumper the relay, it runs....HELP

2. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Bump!

3. about20ninj45

about20ninj45 Full Access Member

Name:
    Damien
    facing similar issues with my ac and still looking for a solution

4. 01ssreda4

01ssreda4 Full Access Member

Name:
    Steve
    Well first, you have no clue what youre doing. Second, there would be an orifice tube in that fitting making one side (port) the high side and one side the low side. It sounds like at 20 pounds you are still way low on freon. Jumping the compressor on isnt a huge deal but wasnt necessary. It was supposed to be cycling and would have started staying on continuously once freon level was high enough.

5. about20ninj45

about20ninj45 Full Access Member

Name:
    Damien
    Yup he's right, I dug in deep yesterday. Added refrigerant with dye and found I had a leak. When the AC compressor is cycling on and off, you take the lowest reading when it's on with the clutch engaged. That will be your real reading, and you want to add to it if it's below 30. Once a good amount of refrigerant is in there, it will stay running.